Wiring a portable shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I looked in article 530 and 230. So it's going to be under 50amps being used inside so I was thinking surface mounting a small panel outside, and connecting a S/O cord to it and back feeding the panel with it. Would this be acceptable? I was thinking the S/O cord should be GFCI protected always. Do they make a GFCI plug I could attach to the S/O cord? Thank you for your help.

zappy

I don't see 550 as applying and I don't know about 225 . Not sure what you would use.

How would you install a grounding electrode according to 250.32.

Well I guess that's why I'm asking on here, because I'm not sure what section applies to a portable shed. It was built without a foundation. He didn't need a permit because it was small and portable. I was thinking like it's the same as a portable office trailer.

I appreciate your help Dennis.

Cavie

Well I guess that's why I'm asking on here, because I'm not sure what section applies to a portable shed. It was built without a foundation. He didn't need a permit because it was small and portable. I was thinking like it's the same as a portable office trailer.

I appreciate your help Dennis.

Portable sheds don't get foundations in of Florida. They get set on blocks and tied down with screw anchors. Most of them do need permits.

renosteinke

Just what is a 'portable shed?' If you mean it's a little snap-together thing you buy at the home center, it's not treated by the NEC any differently than a shed with a concrete foundation and cement block walls.

I wonder - a lot - about that '50 amps.' It makes me want to know ALL about the job before trying to give any solid advice. I can't really answer without also going into a lot of detail that you ought to already know.

So, I'll pass the buck. Hire a local pro.Talk to city hall.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Opps, I meant 550, and 225. Thanks Dennis.

I am not sure 550 covers what you are doing.

I find it odd that a portable shed would need 50A.

In my village, sheds under 100 sq ft do not require a permit.

If it really needs to be portable, I don't see how you could wire it up without having some kind of plug and cord connection. Not sure just how you would accomodate a GE at every location it might be placed at though.

OTOH, just how far does it have to be moved. I know some people that have chicken coops move them periodically, but it is only ten feet or so.

If it is moved between several different fixed locations, maybe a pedestal at each location is in order with a GE there, and a short cord.

Just curious how long of a cord you are planning on. A 50A cordset is not real common and finding an outlet to plug it into is not common either.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't believe that the words temporary or portable should ever be used when talking about electrical. Electricity doesn't know that it's temporary and portable means you have to be able to "easily" move it. I've move three buildings, but that doesn't make them portable.;)

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
I had a client who did portable power and their solution was a 4/0 GE connection with a "cam-lock" (don't ask if you don't know) connection. Whenever it arrived wherever it was going, something resembling a ground was located and dealt with accordingly.

For power, there are 3R rated RV and/or generator outlets (male connector, so perhaps "inlet" is more accurate ...) that take an L1430, as well as some other fancier connectors, such as the "California Standard" guys.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I had a client who did portable power and their solution was a 4/0 GE connection with a "cam-lock" (don't ask if you don't know) connection. Whenever it arrived wherever it was going, something resembling a ground was located and dealt with accordingly.

For power, there are 3R rated RV and/or generator outlets (male connector, so perhaps "inlet" is more accurate ...) that take an L1430, as well as some other fancier connectors, such as the "California Standard" guys.

In what world is a camlok style connector allowed to be the GE connection?

iwire

Staff member
What is a camlok style connector (I know I'm not supposed to ask).

Check this link

http://gencable.com/index.shtml?connector/camlocks.htm

And here is a load of them in use.

They are used to connect large gauge portable power cable.

PickaColor.jpg

Trans2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.