For Entertainment Only - An Email Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

He can and usually does. I was just poking fun at him. What probably happened is he pushed the shift key down to fast and got MA instead of mA.

What's a few orders of magnitude difference among friends?
In this case, millions.
But, more seriously, I do take your point.
He usually does.
Here's something I posted elsewhere:

Another note in passing. Joule should be upper case J for the same reason Watt is upper case W. These units, and others, take their names from peolpe.
As Mrs B who works for me would, without hesitation, confirm that I'm a bit pernickety about that kind of thing.
But isn't frivolous. We are an engineering company. We should present engineering units correctly.

BJ Conner

Will Fiber work?

Will Fiber work?

We're on Fios out here. Fiber optics wern't in use when I went to school. However I have studied them enough to know you can't get much power down that piece of glass. In fact there is a small battery and charger located in the grage that keeps the phone and internet working when the power is out.

PT Barnam once said "Ther's a sucker born every minute" He was wrong, there is at least 10 or 12 born every minute. They all seem to have access to the internet so that's where the con-men fish. :roll:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Another note in passing. Joule should be upper case J for the same reason Watt is upper case W. These units, and others, take their names from peolpe.

As Mrs B who works for me would, without hesitation, confirm that I'm a bit pernickety about that kind of thing.

Another note in passing, when trying to teach people how to spell, at least take time to spell the lesson correctly.

peolpe - people

pernickety - persnickety

Might I also suggest you brush up on your punctuation skills as well?

;)

Besoeker

Another note in passing, when trying to teach people how to spell, at least take time to spell the lesson correctly.

peolpe - people

pernickety - persnickety

Might I also suggest you brush up on your punctuation skills as well?

;)
I'm not trying to tell people how to spell.
Nor even asking them to use the correct units.
Just lamenting that they sometimes don't.

Yes, I made a typo with people.
It was a post that was cut and pasted complete with that typo.
I saw that and could have corrected it but that would not have reflected correctly what I posted elsewhere and that would have been dishonest.
I don't like dishonesty.

Pernickety is a perfectly good English word. As is your US version.

Now, if you want to criticise my punctuation, I don't mind.
But perhaps you would have the good grace to explain where I got it wrong. I'm quite happy to accept that I may have done so and I'll take on board your constructive criticism.

gar

Occupation
EE
101219-2245 EST

K8MHZ:

I understood your comment.

I grew up in the days when MA was the abbreviation for milliampere, CPS was frequency, MC was megacycles per second, KC was what now is called kHz, KC was simpler, 112 MC was really pretty high stuff, but there was radar at 1000 Mhz that I did not know existed, 110 V plugs had only two prongs, 1 M was a 1000 ohm resistor, and 1 MEG was used for a megohm resistor, most ham long distance communication was at 20 meters, and so on. Also note M has been used for 1000 since Roman times. Without some context language is not very specific in many cases. The word milliampere was originated 1890-95 per dictionary.com . Now I found a source that provides an origin time for the unit Watt as 1892, dictionary.com . I use the word thru instead of through because it is simpler and perfectly clear. Simpson 260 and 270 meters use MA, at least on mine, and Fluke uses mA. Hewlett-Packard used MA in the 60s.

I have changed to Hz, took many years, but not necessarily to some other terms. It took me a lot of years to go from CPS to Hz. I don't change easily and will probably continue to use MA for milliamperes. In any context it would be quite hard to mistake mega-amperes with milliamperes.

My life overlapped Edison's, but I was too young to meet him. Some of my older classmates probably did meet him. I did send a hand keyed telegraph message via Western Union wires from Smiths Creek station in Greenfield Village to the Edison family on 11 February 1947 on the 100th anniversary of Edison's birth. At an earlier age I heard Francis Jehl give presentations to us in the Menlo Park laboratory. He was the last living person at that time that was an assistant to Edison and was present in 1879 when Edison's first successful bulb burned for many hours. It took about 10 hours to pump down the bulb and remove occluded gases. They used copious amounts of mercury. Today the EPA would have fits. The bulb test started at 8 PM on Sunday 19 October 1879. On Tuesday 21 October 1879 between 1 and 2 PM the lamp had been burning for about 40 hours. At this time Edison gradually raised the voltage until the lamp burned out. Edison and Jehl were the two persons watching the bulb thru its first night.

Years ago at home we had a few pounds of mercury in a thick jar. At times this was used for play. In high school we had a demonstration where mercury was frozen to a handle in liquid helium and used for a hammer to drive a nail.

Too many things you are not allowed to do today.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now who remembers micromicrofarads (mmf)?
I certainly do: uuf.

I started out with crystal radios (even one with a pencil lead and a blue razor blade as the detector), built Eico kits, a Knight-kit shortwave radio, and several Dynaco pieces, not to mention a few SWTPc kits.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Let's all leave off the "spelling police" bit in the future, ey? Most folks don't enjoy the correction.

(Edit to add: I'm not saying the MA vs. mA bit didn't have some value, and humor. :) )

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not trying to tell people how to spell.
Nor even asking them to use the correct units.
Just lamenting that they sometimes don't.

Yes, I made a typo with people.
It was a post that was cut and pasted complete with that typo.
I saw that and could have corrected it but that would not have reflected correctly what I posted elsewhere and that would have been dishonest.
I don't like dishonesty.

Persnickety is a perfectly good English word. As is your US version.

Now, if you want to criticise my punctuation, I don't mind.
But perhaps you would have the good grace to explain where I got it wrong. I'm quite happy to accept that I may have done so and I'll take on board your constructive criticism.

I was just having some fun at your expense, it really doesn't bother me one way or the other unless the posts are written so poorly they need to be deciphered. I just thought that your post was a bit ironic, so I made some smart A comments about it.

I didn't realize you were in the UK until you mentioned it. I also had no idea that 'pernickety' and 'persnickety' were synonymous. I learned something, thanks.

As for the punctuation, my remark was spawned by the improper use of periods and commas, one that has become so ubiquitous on the Internet that the errors are seldom noticed. Certainly not a big deal at all, just fodder for my rant.

I hoped by the insertion of the 'winky' emoticon it would be evident that I was just kidding around.

No harm intended, sorry if it came across otherwise.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
101219-2245 EST

K8MHZ:

I understood your comment.

I grew up in the days when MA was the abbreviation for milliampere, CPS was frequency, MC was megacycles per second, KC was what now is called kHz, KC was simpler, 112 MC was really pretty high stuff, but there was radar at 1000 Mhz that I did not know existed, 110 V plugs had only two prongs, 1 M was a 1000 ohm resistor, and 1 MEG was used for a megohm resistor, most ham long distance communication was at 20 meters, and so on. Also note M has been used for 1000 since Roman times. Without some context language is not very specific in many cases. The word milliampere was originated 1890-95 per dictionary.com . Now I found a source that provides an origin time for the unit Watt as 1892, dictionary.com . I use the word thru instead of through because it is simpler and perfectly clear. Simpson 260 and 270 meters use MA, at least on mine, and Fluke uses mA. Hewlett-Packard used MA in the 60s.

I have changed to Hz, took many years, but not necessarily to some other terms. It took me a lot of years to go from CPS to Hz. I don't change easily and will probably continue to use MA for milliamperes. In any context it would be quite hard to mistake mega-amperes with milliamperes.

My life overlapped Edison's, but I was too young to meet him. Some of my older classmates probably did meet him. I did send a hand keyed telegraph message via Western Union wires from Smiths Creek station in Greenfield Village to the Edison family on 11 February 1947 on the 100th anniversary of Edison's birth. At an earlier age I heard Francis Jehl give presentations to us in the Menlo Park laboratory. He was the last living person at that time that was an assistant to Edison and was present in 1879 when Edison's first successful bulb burned for many hours. It took about 10 hours to pump down the bulb and remove occluded gases. They used copious amounts of mercury. Today the EPA would have fits. The bulb test started at 8 PM on Sunday 19 October 1879. On Tuesday 21 October 1879 between 1 and 2 PM the lamp had been burning for about 40 hours. At this time Edison gradually raised the voltage until the lamp burned out. Edison and Jehl were the two persons watching the bulb thru its first night.

Years ago at home we had a few pounds of mercury in a thick jar. At times this was used for play. In high school we had a demonstration where mercury was frozen to a handle in liquid helium and used for a hammer to drive a nail.

Too many things you are not allowed to do today.

I'm no spring chicken, either, but I don't ever recall a capital M being formally used for 'milli'. I remember mhos, actually own a millimohometer, but big M always stood for mega, as far back as I remember.

The confusion likely arose with the use of Morse Code and mills. Mills were typewriters that only typed in capital letters and were used by telegraphers to record messages coming through their radios. Morse was sent at 20 to 50 wpm (100 - 250 cpm) and typing was faster and easier to read than handwriting, so the mills were present at nearly every telegraphy station, even radio stations in ships. My guess is that MA was sent to mean milliamps out of brevity in messages that could not be mistaken to mean mega-amps as there is no way to send 'mA' via Morse Code.

Early teletype machines also used all upper case letters, perpetuating the erroneous use of the abbreviations.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Mho is a word, not an acronym, so the 'm' does not 'stand' for anything.

Who said it was an acronym? Certainly not I. Mho, which is Ohm spelled backwards, is a unit of conductivity and was replaced by the Siemen in the 70's. All I said was that I remembered the unit, which was still in place when I was first learning about electricity, and that I owned an instrument that measured that particular unit. (Actually it measures millimhos)

You really didn't think I thought mho stood for milli ho, did you?

:D

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Just to note, the only thing I have ever used my mhometer for is to show people I am not kidding about mho being ohm spelled backwards and being an actual unit of measure.

It's debut was during my apprenticeship when I brought it up in class one day. The instructor was also a ham and the class accused us of being in cahoots with each other and pulling their collective legs. He was even surprised that I had one in my collection.

The meter also shows up in the radio classes I teach. Since the unit is archaic and the concept of the spelling is just downright humorous, proof is often needed, and the meter provides that.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
So if you can only get 0.5 watts out of the phone line, (per Gar above), thats

0.5 * 24 * 365 = 4360 watt-hours/year or 4.3 KWH per year.

At 10 cents a KWH, thats only going to get me 43 cents a year worth of power. A far cry from the thousands they claim.

Unless I live to be 4500 years old.

Steve

Besoeker

I was just having some fun at your expense, it really doesn't bother me one way or the other unless the posts are written so poorly they need to be deciphered. I just thought that your post was a bit ironic, so I made some smart A comments about it.

I didn't realize you were in the UK until you mentioned it. I also had no idea that 'pernickety' and 'persnickety' were synonymous. I learned something, thanks.

As for the punctuation, my remark was spawned by the improper use of periods and commas, one that has become so ubiquitous on the Internet that the errors are seldom noticed. Certainly not a big deal at all, just fodder for my rant.

I hoped by the insertion of the 'winky' emoticon it would be evident that I was just kidding around.

No harm intended, sorry if it came across otherwise.
No harm done.
If my written English isn't perfect, I have at least something of an excuse. I'm not English.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.