• No, You can strap within 10 ft.

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
The thing that "securely fastens" is referenced to the "tubing termination", not the "termination point".

Only a "tubing termination" is included in the list with outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet and conduit body.

Again, I believe a "tubing termination" is a two word term. I believe it means a fitting or assembly that is listed for the conductors to emerge from the end of the raceway.

A coupling is not listed for conductors to emerge from, nor is a "go-from" coupling. Therefore, even though two different types of raceway may end in a "go-from" coupling, no termination can occur.

Al, IMO RMC is outside the scope of Article 358 so it cannot recognize or apply to anything beyond the transition from EMT. The code article as well as the EMT has terminated at the transition.

Jim W in Tampa

Al, IMO RMC is outside the scope of Article 358 so it cannot recognize or apply to anything beyond the transition from EMT. The code article as well as the EMT has terminated at the transition.

Any place in NEC that instructs us to do it that way ?
I still have not voted because both sides have valid points. Yes I personally strap it within 3 feet but mostly because of 20 years of being told to. I can not really justify not going 10 feet. I do not think this is terminated but is just a transition.

220/221

each EMT run between termination points shall be securely fastened within 900 mm (3 ft) of each outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other tubing termination."

I'm going to say that, technically, the electrical metallic tubing terminates at the adapter where the rigid metallic conduit begins.

I have always interpeted the code to mean that "tubing termination" referred to the individual pieces of pipe. Generally, the coupling on a conduit run is the most vulnerable at the couplings so it just makes sense to strap it close.

Jim W in Tampa

I'm going to say that, technically, the electrical metallic tubing terminates at the adapter where the rigid metallic conduit begins.

I have always interpeted the code to mean that "tubing termination" referred to the individual pieces of pipe. Generally, the coupling on a conduit run is the most vulnerable at the couplings so it just makes sense to strap it close.

So are you saying that in a run of EMT you want a strap within 3 feet of every coupling ?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Using the word "terminated" in the sentence as if it is the same as the two word term "tubing termination" is a neat trick, but misleading, I think. One cannot use "tubing termination" in the sentence:

"The code article as well as the EMT has tubing terminationed at the transition."

The stick of EMT that the transition coupling, the go-from coupling, is on, does, in fact, end in the coupling.

And, as Jim is pointing out, if the go-from coupling is an EMT to EMT go-from, another stick of EMT starts on the other side, doesn't matter if the size of EMT changes from 1/2" to 3/4" in the coupling, or is 1/2" to 1/2". Therefore, by the logic of calling a tubing transition coupling a "tubing termination", every plain old tubing coupling is also a tubing termination and must be secured within three feet of each side.

I think, rather, that a transition coupling (go-from coupling) is not a outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other tubing termination. I believe the Code is silent about securing the transition coupling just as it is silent about securing the simple coupling.

Jim W in Tampa

OK after much thinking and reading I have to view this as nothing was terminated so no reason to strap within 3 feet.
If this was EMT for entire run but simply a transition because of trade size we would not be adding a strap. Where in NEC does it say we can not change type of conduit without first terminating ? There is no good reason to add a strap for this change over. If anything it is better secured at concrete than any other method. In practice I would likely put a strap within 3 feet but only because something so easy to add is not worth having a red tag. What we see here is that if we were all inspectors that about 60 % would fail the job. I was taught not push the line between pass and fail over something so small. An extra strap will never hurt the job and if the cost is a factor then you bid way too low.
My vote is within 10 feet is all NEC required.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Based on the code wording, I see the connection between the two types of raceways as a "termination" for each raceway. One raceway ends and the other starts. With couplings in the same type of raceway, the raceway does not have a termination.

What if I ran out of couplings and decided to use 2 connectors and a rigid coupling, would your theory apply?

220/221

So are you saying that in a run of EMT you want a strap within 3 feet of every coupling ?
That is not what he said.

Maybe not what I said but it's what I do. It makes sense. In any case, 3 foot from the box leaves 7 foot to the coupling. 3 more feet (from the coupling) is 10 feet apart on the straps. I think that's what they had in mind.

What if I ran out of couplings and decided to use 2 connectors and a rigid coupling, would your theory apply?

That's a whole 'nother thread about listing LOL.

My vote is within 10 feet is all NEC required.

Within 5' actually. If it has to be strapped every 10', there will be a strap within 5' of the coupling.....right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.