Service Disconnect Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlcardinalsguy

Hi all! I recently had a service disconnect installed in my home and would like to know if it has been wired correctly. The electrician I hired seemed like he didn't know what he was doing and my lights now dim when the furnace kicks on...they didn't do this before! I'm thinking it might be a grounding issue, so I roughed up a crude diagram for y'all to look at. The service disconnect is directly below the meter outside the house which is grounded with the existing ground rod. Inside the house, the service panel was grounded to the city water pipe.
The electrician used 4/0-3 aluminum SEU to run from the disconnect to the main service panel inside. I'm pretty sure the bonding is correct in the disconnect (neutral to ground), but should there be an extra ground introduced in the service panel? He ran a 4AWG solid copper line from the inside service panel to the water line which wasn't there before. Is this correct?
Untitled.png

iwire

Staff member
I see nothing wrong with what your EC has done.

Now I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Side note:
In regard to the sketch and your last sentence: He ran a 4AWG solid copper line from the inside service panel to the water line which wasn't there before. Is this correct?
That would not be Code compliant. Connections to a metallic water line that is a grounding electrode or connections used for bonding a metallic water
lines must originate from service or service equipment. ( 250.36 & 250.104)
and not from a "sub-panel" (with some exceptions)
{I discussed this with Bob, and his post was "pre-coffee"}:)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I took the liberty of reopening the thread just long enough to add that if you think this situation needs additional discussion, then feel free to invite your electrician to register with the forum, and ask him to post whatever additional questions the two of you wish to present.

Status
Not open for further replies.