GFI required for bath exhaust fan near tub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBowden

Had an inspector reject a job today. He said I need GFI protection for a combination exhaust fan/light in a bathroom because it is close to the bathtub area. The toilet is right next to the tub and the fan/light is over the toilet.
The unit is flush mounted in the ceiling. The ceiling height is 8 feet.
He didn't say it neede to be listed for a wet or damp location, just that it needs GFI protection.
I can't find a code reference in my book (2008 code).
Can anyone point me to the right article?

raider1

Staff member
There is no NEC requirement for GFCI protection of a fan/light over a bathtub.

Now there may be a manufactures requirement for GFCI protection.

Chris

The NEC doesn't address bathroom exhaust fans directly other than 110.3(B) installing per the maufacturers instructions or listing. Most bathroom exhaust fan installation instructions say "listed for installation above tub or shower when installed on a GFCI protected circuit" or something to that effect. There is also usually a sticker on the exhaust fan housing with the same statement. Hope this helps.

CopperTone

ask the inspector for a code reference.

Read the bath exhaust fan installation manual - most say if installed over tub must be gfci protected -but not all say that.

PetrosA

One of the upsells I've been doing lately in baths takes care of two issues. I try and sell a GFI protected switch for the fan light combo since it covers the GFI requirement from the manufacturer, and forces the use of the fan. Too many times people don't want the fan to come on which just defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One of the upsells I've been doing lately in baths takes care of two issues. I try and sell a GFI protected switch for the fan light combo since it covers the GFI requirement from the manufacturer, and forces the use of the fan. Too many times people don't want the fan to come on which just defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.

I wouldn't want the fan to come on with the lights so for me as a customer the up-sell would be two switches not one. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When you put the fan/light over the shower or tub, the whole point is to remove steam so the wall don't get moldy, right?

Well that is one use for the fan. The other use involves activities outside of the shower, so having the light on in the shower with the fan running isn't necessary. ;)

joebell

It says it needs to be GFCI protected, the simplest solution is to put a GFCI breaker in and the whole issue will be solved.

Typical instructions for exhaust fans requiire GFCI protection if they are installed in the tub/shower area. If it is outside this area then no GFCI protection is required. I'm reading the OP as the unit is located outside this area.

Last edited:

dana1028

Check the Federal [gov't.] energy code - in CA [which must meet Fed regs] it is a violation to have the fan and light on the same switch [because you are using the extra fan energy when it may not be necessary].

dana1028

Why don't you just put the circuit feeding the bathroom on a GFCI breaker and be done with the whole argument?

Because...
1. The code does not require it.
2. Why should the electrician have to spend extra time and money to install something that is not code required? ... and is not a safety issue.
3. If done wisely, the OP has an opportunity to educate the inspector as to the correct code requirements.

PetrosA

Check the Federal [gov't.] energy code - in CA [which must meet Fed regs] it is a violation to have the fan and light on the same switch [because you are using the extra fan energy when it may not be necessary].

That's something new to me. Around here one of the biggest issues people have in bathrooms is mold, second is moisture damage to paint and drywall. Putting the fan on the same switch as the light helps mitigate the problems, especially in rental units where bathrooms tend to be smaller. I would argue that a timer for both would be a better solution all around, but in an argument against Federal regulations I would just be banging my head against a really big wall... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.