Feed Through Panel Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

retire09

Can one panel be fed through another panel from a different location?
I am used to seeing feed through panel installations where the two panels are side by side in the same room.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There are circumstances in which you can run a wire through a panel, even if it is not associated with the panel and does not land on any point within the panel. The rules are mostly about using up the available cross-sectional area. See 312.8. Please note that it does not matter what the "feed through" wire is, or what it serves, or where the thing it serves is located.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are confusing a feed thru panel with a panel that has conductors passing thru one panel. They are different. I had to read Charlie's response to realize what you meant.

I believe you mean the feeder for one panel is passing thru another panel. I assume these are not service conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Do you mean a feed through panel like this?

Work%20Stuff%20037.JPG

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Perhaps I misunderstood the question. Let me try to describe your installation.
  • A breaker on a distribution panel provides power to "Branch Panel A."
  • Branch Panel A has feed through lugs.
  • The feed through lugs on Branch Panel A are used to provide power to "Branch Panel B."
  • Branch Panel B is located in a different room, some distance from Branch Panel A.
Is that what you are asking about? If so, that is acceptable, provided that the breaker on the distribution panel is not rated higher than the rating of the two branch panels, and that that breaker is capable of protecting the feeders at their ampacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.