Installing meter with bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampitup

On a two family house there is an existing 200a service with a three gang meter bank. There are are only two meters with the third socket not being used. I'm going to add a panel for common area circuits but the meter socket needs a bypass. Can I just put jumpers in the unused socket and feed a meter with a bypass that I nipple off the existing meter bank?

cadpoint

On a two family house there is an existing 200a service with a three gang meter bank. There are are only two meters with the third socket not being used. I'm going to add a panel for common area circuits but the meter socket needs a bypass. Can I just put jumpers in the unused socket and feed a meter with a bypass that I nipple off the existing meter bank?

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm sure what you plan to do is ok, what I don't understand is in blue , I beleive you mean that they need taps and you continue on and say jumpers.

I'm sure you have filled out the stand POCO forms so they know who gets billed from the new third meter. You going to put in a 60 amp for that?

ampitup

Thanks for the reply. The poco requires a meter with bypass for the common area panel which would be fused at 60 amps. The existing meter bank doesn't have any bypass which is why I want to add one next to it with a bypass.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm sure what you plan to do is ok, what I don't understand is in blue , I beleive you mean that they need taps and you continue on and say jumpers.

I'm sure you have filled out the stand POCO forms so they know who gets billed from the new third meter. You going to put in a 60 amp for that?

It sounds like he plans on putting pieces of metal (either manufactured for the purpose or otherwise) into the empty meter socket to jump the terminals and running conductors from the load side of the empty meter socket to a new meter socket with bypass before heading to a common circuit panel.

ampitup

Yes Jaylelectricity I plan on using Milbank K8180 bypass links (jumpers) and then using the load side of socket etc. But the inspector is part time and hard to reach. I just wanted to make sure there's nothing in the code book for the AHJ to say after the fact the he won't approve. I hope my question makes sense. I'm not too good at getting the thoughts to the keyboard.

Hendrix

Yes Jaylelectricity I plan on using Milbank K8180 bypass links (jumpers) and then using the load side of socket etc. But the inspector is part time and hard to reach. I just wanted to make sure there's nothing in the code book for the AHJ to say after the fact the he won't approve. I hope my question makes sense. I'm not too good at getting the thoughts to the keyboard.
Why don't you just use the old meter socket?

ampitup

No, just a lever bypass. It is for the poco to use. It makes installing and removing the meter easier and no power loss to customer.

Riograndeelectric

Are you talking about a lever bypass handle where the meter can be by passed by use of the handle. Excel Energy here in Colorado requires all single phase meters used for permanent power to have lever by pass.

Excel Energy will not allow the use of existing meters with out lever by pass to be reused.

is what you are asking about?

cadpoint

I have a bypass on my house, I can pull the meter and throw a mini arm inside the meter base that will fire one pole.

I'm not in your line of work and frankly only considered this a fluke that has since been done away with, in the context of a modern install.

I too don't understand why this install would be such a Poco dicatation as an install? OK sure no interpution
of power, I understand.
I also don't understand why a bypass in this case is required at all?

If you could clear it up for us, we all could only be wiser.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The meter and meter socket are not load break devices. The lever bypass lets the utility remove or install a meter safely without using the meter and its socket as a load break device.

Status
Not open for further replies.