t12 - t8 ballast replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

When changing out lights from t12 -t8 should the sockets be replaced ? Either bulb will fit into either socket , some sockets are shunted. Not sure ballast diagram indicates type of sockets.

Electric-Light

When changing out lights from t12 -t8 should the sockets be replaced ? Either bulb will fit into either socket , some sockets are shunted. Not sure ballast diagram indicates type of sockets.

It's just a matter of time and cost. What costs more? New sockets, or the time to install properly using existing sockets?

T12 rapid start to T8 instant start requires that you shunt the two pins as close to the socket as possible and you'll have to do this on the lift. If you don't shunt it, lamps will fail prematurely.

The non-shunted sockets are for rapid start. If you use shunted sockets with programmed rapid start, you'll fry the ballasts.

Or you can have some laborer prepare ballasts in your shop with new sockets. Trim ballast wires and pre-attach new shunted sockets in your shop. Yank sockets out of fixture by the old ballast leads. Slip in new sockets and ballast. This is not an option if they're unusual expensive sockets in existing fixtures.

Last edited:

Barndog

It's just a matter of time and cost. What costs more? New sockets, or the time to install properly using existing sockets?

T12 rapid start to T8 instant start requires that you shunt the two pins as close to the socket as possible and you'll have to do this on the lift. If you don't shunt it, lamps will fail prematurely.

The non-shunted sockets are for rapid start. If you use shunted sockets with programmed rapid start, you'll fry the ballasts.

Or you can have some laborer prepare ballasts in your shop with new sockets. Trim ballast wires and pre-attach new shunted sockets in your shop. Yank sockets out of fixture by the old ballast leads. Slip in new sockets and ballast. This is not an option if they're unusual expensive sockets in existing fixtures.

What i have done with the converison is cut the sockets and wire nut both wires to the single ballast wire of the T-8 ballast. I only change the socket if there is damage to the socket. to much time removing the socket bars for me.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
What i have done with the converison is cut the sockets and wire nut both wires to the single ballast wire of the T-8 ballast. I only change the socket if there is damage to the socket. to much time removing the socket bars for me.

We do it the same as Barndog, but we use Wagos rather than wirenuts.

Thank god for Wagos on ballast retrofits!!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Electric-Light

We do it the same as Barndog, but we use Wagos rather than wirenuts.

Thank god for Wagos on ballast retrofits!!

How close to the socket are you guys installing jumpers? Not installing is definitely a bad idea, but even installing them closer to ballast where its more convenient is detrimental to lamp life.

Long jumpers substantially reduce lamp life.
b6agjm.jpg

Barndog

How close to the socket are you guys installing jumpers? Not installing is definitely a bad idea, but even installing them closer to ballast where its more convenient is detrimental to lamp life.

b6agjm.jpg

I cut them as close to the socket bar and still being able to make my splice.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

b6agjm.jpg

Apparently not as close as we should be. We usually clip the wires off next to the old ballast and then hook onto them right there with the new ballast wires.

Live and learn.

Electric-Light

I have had issues with these types of connectors before. much like a backwire outlet, the connection seemed to loosen over time and was the cause of a warranty issue service call. i prefer a more positive connection.
That's how the wires are held in the actual sockets.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I have had issues with these types of connectors before. much like a backwire outlet, the connection seemed to loosen over time and was the cause of a warranty issue service call. i prefer a more positive connection.

I've done a lot of retrofits using those Ideal connectors and never had a problem.

When I try and take one of these connections apart it takes quite a bit of force and twisting to do it....

wankster

I've done a lot of retrofits using those Ideal connectors and never had a problem.

When I try and take one of these connections apart it takes quite a bit of force and twisting to do it....

my issues were with can lights that came with them from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.