Fear of heights in employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I shouldn't really say I don't like heights, I kind of enjoyed being up there, just that potential to fall really works my nerves.

Yeah the views are great, it is just the thought of being a just a pile of broken bones and meat at the bottom that is a problem.

zog

Job posting states working on ladders and heights exceeding 50'. Probably not asked at he interview, but he stated I'm fine just slow on the ladder. It looked like he thought he was going to die standing on the top safe to use rung. Never asked him to do it unsafe.

We have a 90 day probation period so.... I'm just bewildered that the guy is still here. We all informed him, it doesnt get easier, we have 14' ladders too.

Well there you go...unless you can find something else for him it may be time to find another guy (Or gal) to replace him.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
How old is he? I would do any height when young but now, 30+ years later not really looking to go too high on ladders (but do); still good on lifts!

I am the same way!
Height was no problem when I was younger, now I don't care for it. Won't avoid it, just don't like it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't like heights myself. Just last week hooked up a motor at top of 125 foot grain elevator. Had to get used to it or fire myself.

As long as I am tied on to something I trust it goes a long way with my confidence of knowing I will not fall. I shouldn't really say I don't like heights, I kind of enjoyed being up there, just that potential to fall really works my nerves.

Like they say it's not the fall.......

I'm getting the same way about heights in my old age. Used to monkey climb them when I was younger, now it better be tied off and someone holding it. Just the other day I was thinking that the gutters on the second floor of my house needed to be cleaned and then I wondered who I could get to do it and things like that used to never bother me.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I realize the issues of ADA but how do they apply to a job requirement?
I don't see how he could sue if he does not want to be on a ladder if it is required for the job.

This guy is on probation.

I could sue you for having a shop that didn't meet ADA standards and I don't even have to work for you.

He may not have a leg to stand on, but like I said, I would just be careful stating why he was dismissed.

Then again the guy could just be lazy and looking for an excuse. My old boss hired a guy who was afraid of heights, so I end up working off a ladder all day. Then the next guy he hires is afraid of small spaces so I have to do all the attic work. Then the next guys is afraid of spiders so I have to do all the work in the crawl spaces. You get the picture. It's no wonder that my shoulders are shot.

renosteinke

I must have been living in a different universe ... nearly every electrician I've ever met has confided their 'extreme dislike' of heights.

Nor is it always logical. Personally, I really dislike ladders. The guy I trained under simply hated scissor and boom lifts. Oddly enough, he was confident on a ladder, and I was secure in a cherry-picker.

These days, there's a lot of hype about "SEAL Team 6." Well, the founder of SEAL Team 6 (R. Marcinko) and his mentor (R. Boehm, the father of the SEALs), put it this way: you don't have to like it, you just have to do it!

Still, there's something to be said for having a multitude of ladders and accessories. It's amazing how a tiny wobble makes such an impression on you. I have two 'unusual' ladders that are simply rock-solid in certain circumstances, and they're not all that different from the 'usual' ladder. Likewise, there's a lot less 'bounce' in a Type I-A ladder than a Type-II.

There's also something to be said about "tolerance." As in: if I haven't been up a ladder for some time, I am a lot more nervous than I am after a couple days of constant work at height.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yea cowboy If someone came to my so called shop and complaind about not being ADA compliant after they read my Handbook of requirements and Job duties. They would get such an earfull they would leave the premises and wish they never set foot near the place.

rt66electric

Put his lunch on top of something tall

Put his lunch on top of something tall

My daughter "was" afraid of heights >>>> but wanted to see what was in the attic. 9ft ceiling scuttle hole and a 8ft ladder,. Her 3yearold little brother could make it, she could too. She would hold onand shiver like a wet cat. She made it up but froze on the way down. "OH-NOOO its going to fall over" I said " its in the hallway ther is no way it can tip over" I then proceded to tip the ladder bouncing it off each wall ( with her on top) and after I stopped, and, she calmed down, She then realized she was OK, and NOW she will go up/down a ladder if necessary. Little brother(s) wanted to play "bounce off the wall after that.

realolman

I worked with two guys who were afraid of heights. Always kinda piqued me off. Seems to me if I can climb a ladder so can they, or maybe they oughta find another job.

Another couple guys... we used to do all the crappy work that required the wearing of a respirator because they wore beards that didn't seal.... now I really didn't mind doing it for them as a favor, but it seemed to me that they really never understood that it WAS a favor, and if we would have pushed it, they'd have had to shave. They seemed to think they were entitled, and that kinda frosted my flakes.

You don't mind helping guys out, but seems to me electricians should be able to work heights.

nhfire77

My daughter "was" afraid of heights >>>> but wanted to see what was in the attic. 9ft ceiling scuttle hole and a 8ft ladder,. Her 3yearold little brother could make it, she could too. She would hold onand shiver like a wet cat. She made it up but froze on the way down. "OH-NOOO its going to fall over" I said " its in the hallway ther is no way it can tip over" I then proceded to tip the ladder bouncing it off each wall ( with her on top) and after I stopped, and, she calmed down, She then realized she was OK, and NOW she will go up/down a ladder if necessary. Little brother(s) wanted to play "bounce off the wall after that.

I would like to do that, but I believe that would violate some osha regulation :)

Winning DUH

I once worked with a guy who was afraid of heights; he was an ok guy, hard worker.
Turns out this guy drank 3 mountain dews everyday on the way to work. All that caffeine!!!
Myself to this day have to watch it with the caffeine, makes me all jittery.
Ask him to not drink caffeine, see if that helps. If not then he needs to find something else to do??..

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
It's not the heights that scare me, it's usually the piece of crap equipment I'm using to get there....

I always figure after your above 30' the fall is going to kill you anyhow, so it doesn't matter how much higher you go after that...

:D

kwired

Electron manager
It's not the heights that scare me, it's usually the piece of crap equipment I'm using to get there....

I always figure after your above 30' the fall is going to kill you anyhow, so it doesn't matter how much higher you go after that...

:D

Really depends on how you land, what you land on, and your general health conditions. There have been people not survive less than 5 foot fall and others survive 50 foot fall and maybe even higher.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Thats why I didn't say anything. Its the first time I have ever run into this fear

Give him 2 weeks and make sure all his work is on ladders give him the chance to overcome the fear if ther is no improvment after that then fire him.:thumbsup:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Is your work such that you need a floor man a lot? Can he do your cutting, threading, bending? Could he be a gopher for the other guys, keeping materials coming? On bigger jobs, would he be a good supply trailer man?

I once worked with a girl, new to the trade but studied and worked hard. She did ladders & lifts most of the time OK. in 1 place, she was afraid to climb ladder through ceiling grid, up to bar joists. She was somewhat overweight & didn't balance well in such places. She asked if I would do that part & offered to do all the running to trailer, etc. (a considerable distance). I agreed & actually got the better end of the deal. She did ALL the running & kept us with all we needed. I got about a 10-1 return with her.

If someone has a good attitude & works hard, some effort to find the right place for him is worthwhile. If other work is not practical, you may have to let him go.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Really depends on how you land, what you land on, and your general health conditions. There have been people not survive less than 5 foot fall and others survive 50 foot fall and maybe even higher.

Yeah, I know. I just like telling the guys that when they get all wimpy about going up in the bucket truck.

Reminds me of that guy who died on QVC or one of those shopping networks demonstrating climbing a little giant ladder or something like that...he was only a few steps up, but hit his head really hard when he fell.:(

satcom

Yeah, I know. I just like telling the guys that when they get all wimpy about going up in the bucket truck.

Reminds me of that guy who died on QVC or one of those shopping networks demonstrating climbing a little giant ladder or something like that...he was only a few steps up, but hit his head really hard when he fell.:(

Not to worry it's not the height that will hurt you, it's the hard stop after the fall, never put on those safety rigs on lift equipment, the manufactures put them on the lift because they had extra steel laying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.