Fear of heights in employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

We recently hired a new guy. He is afraid of heights, I just found out. Not just boom or scissor lifts. We were running MC on 10' ladders. Flat floors all around. Took more time to get up and down the ladder than actually worked.

How long would give before letting go? Would you even tolerate this?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
xanax?

Did you list that as a job requirement?

I would think anyone taking a job in the electrical field ought to realize that electrical stuff is often overhead. But even so one would have thought that this might have been brought up in a preemployment interview.

Last edited:

nhfire77

xanax?

I would think anyone taking a job in the electrical field ought to realize that electrical stuff is often overhead. But even so one would have thought that this might have been brought up in a preemployment interview.

Job posting states working on ladders and heights exceeding 50'. Probably not asked at he interview, but he stated I'm fine just slow on the ladder. It looked like he thought he was going to die standing on the top safe to use rung. Never asked him to do it unsafe.

We have a 90 day probation period so.... I'm just bewildered that the guy is still here. We all informed him, it doesnt get easier, we have 14' ladders too.

nhfire77

what type of ladders are you using and how strudy are them, he may not trust the ladders

Fair question, as we all have worked on crappy ladders, but no one uses one on my jobs.

They are either the orange werner type IA or the yellow louisville type IAA. No blue or green fiberglass.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would consider letting this person go or changing his duties. Maybe train the person to be less fearful. It is an electricians job to work at heights and off of ladders. If this person gets hurt it could wind up a mess.

big john

That's almost as bad as being afraid of electricity. Ladder work is an integral part of the job.

If you're feeling generous, you could work him up to it by giving him jobs at different heights, like another poster said. But that's a tough call.

I might sit him down and have a very frank discussion about it, and explain that he needs to perform, fear or no fear. If he truly can't perform, then he needs to find other work, for everybody's sake.

-John

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
You may suggest that he spend some time just being on the ladder without actually doing any work, whether thats on his time or your time is up to you. I am not a big fan of heights either and had a job that required ascending a 50 foot temporary stair tower several times a day. The first five or six times I did it were not pleasant. After that I decided I needed to acclimate myself so I climbed to the level that I started to not like it and just stayed there awhile and looked around until I became comfortable. Then I proceeded to the next landing and did the same thing. I repeated that process until I got to the top. After that I had no issues.

masterinbama

Word of wisdom from the man that

Word of wisdom from the man that

taught me. If the man doesn't feel safe, he isn't.

If the guy is a good hand and is willing to get used to the heights all is well. But do not force him.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
under no uncertain terms push this guy. If you like him you will need to work with him untill he is comfortable.
I would be careful as to what was said to him. You don't want the guy to push and then fall from the ladder.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Thats why I didn't say anything. Its the first time I have ever run into this fear

Well if you think he will be a great asset to your company then don't push him, rather work with him like some of the other posters said. I starting think some of the comments about starting low and working up is great!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You could end up with an ADA lawsuit so I would be careful how I handle it.

On the other hand I was working with a guy who tried, but he was a little afraid of heights. One day working on a high lift changing out parking lot lights, the lift rocked and he paniced and let go of his half the fixture to grab the lift and it almost pulled me over the side. Kind of ticked me off and I told him so. I didn't care if he was afraid of heights and I would have rather done it myself than have him hurt me.

Don't hurt John and don't let John hurt John.:happysad:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I realize the issues of ADA but how do they apply to a job requirement?
I don't see how he could sue if he does not want to be on a ladder if it is required for the job.

This guy is on probation.

growler

We recently hired a new guy. He is afraid of heights, I just found out.

Is he a good ditch digger? I hate climbing ladders but I hate digging even more.

I have worked with people that were not very good at working off ladders but these were larger crews and there were always plenty of guys that didn't mind working off ladders.

It's really hard to say what should happen to this guy. Maybe all he needs is experience. If he really does have a fear of heights then he should look for other work that doesn't require the use of ladders or working at heights.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
How old is he? I would do any height when young but now, 30+ years later not really looking to go too high on ladders (but do); still good on lifts!

iwire

Staff member
We recently hired a new guy. He is afraid of heights, I just found out. Not just boom or scissor lifts. We were running MC on 10' ladders. Flat floors all around. Took more time to get up and down the ladder than actually worked.

I would humiliate him and belittle him all day until he got over it or ran away crying. :cry::cry:

<JK>

If he is worth it try to work through it, if not send him on his way for lack of production. I do not think it is unfair to expect he is productive as the others at his pay level, if he cannot do that he is really not qualified for the job.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't like heights myself. Just last week hooked up a motor at top of 125 foot grain elevator. Had to get used to it or fire myself.

As long as I am tied on to something I trust it goes a long way with my confidence of knowing I will not fall. I shouldn't really say I don't like heights, I kind of enjoyed being up there, just that potential to fall really works my nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.