Testing batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4gery

What is the proper way to test the condition of a battery? Let's say you'd like to know what state a car battery is in, if it will hold a charge to full capacity, etc?

Npstewart

I usually go up to AutoZone or advanced discount auto. They wheel out the cart and check it for free. It well tell you if it is good, bad, or just needs charging.

wptski

I just recently replaced a battery and alternator in a vehicle. I've had a Midtronics Micro 500XL conductance tester for years but just got a Argus AA500P which uses a different process. Here a video on the same model but with the printer added: AA500PWP

broadgage

Depends on the size and application of the battery.
For engine starting batteries, voltage under a known and substantial load is a good start.
For UPS and emergency lighting batteries, a practical test to ensure that the battery supports the load for the required time is a good test.

A specific gravity test can be informative with flooded cells.

For small and cheap batteries, precautionery replacement is sensible, but would be extravagant for large battery banks.

Security101

I think the best option is the "GOLD-IBT Intelligent Battery Tester" available online in the US now. It's supposed to be the best way to test current capacity, voltage etc.

I don't have one but used one once and it's pretty sharp. Their a little salty, but well worth it if testing often...

Jim

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I think the best option is the "GOLD-IBT Intelligent Battery Tester" available online in the US now. It's supposed to be the best way to test current capacity, voltage etc.

I don't have one but used one once and it's pretty sharp. Their a little salty, but well worth it if testing often...

Jim

I think we have a couple floating around the shop. They used to be around $100 but now more like $300. The only thing that works for load testing alarm batteries. See here for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.