Reality Check...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I need a Reality Check...

If you keep seeing things that are wrong or incorrect you start to question what you know to be correct.

In the past few weeks I've run across two "subpanels" that were wired like the one in the photo. In each incident the panels were in the same structure as the Main panel.

Is it just me or does this panel violate 250.24(A)(5)

Attachments

• IMG_1305-2.jpg
    IMG_1305-2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not just you.
It appears to be a violation of 250.24(A)(5).
In addition, in order to correct the neutrals and equipment grounds would have to swap bars and, if I am not mistaken, the feeder might be URD (based on the yellow stripe)

Occupation
Inspector
Not just you.
It appears to be a violation of 250.24(A)(5).
In addition, in order to correct the neutrals and equipment grounds would have to swap bars and, if I am not mistaken, the feeder might be URD (based on the yellow stripe)

It does look like URD and if you look closely at the top of the "bar" on the right you will see a bare #10 CU landed there coming in with the "AL" feeder. I have not had a chance to open the LB outside to see what they have done.

kwired

Electron manager
It does look like URD and if you look closely at the top of the "bar" on the right you will see a bare #10 CU landed there coming in with the "AL" feeder. I have not had a chance to open the LB outside to see what they have done.

URD is not a problem as long as the conductors also have a marked rating of RHW or RHH or something like that. The #10CU may be too small for EGC. What is feeder OCP size?

Occupation
Inspector
URD is not a problem as long as the conductors also have a marked rating of RHW or RHH or something like that. The #10CU may be too small for EGC. What is feeder OCP size?

While I don't have a problem with using URD, I have in the past, I question the #10CU. The markings on the "subpanel" list 100A.

I'm going to wait to see what the Inspector has to say when they come to look at my work.

kwired

Electron manager
While I don't have a problem with using URD, I have in the past, I question the #10CU. The markings on the "subpanel" list 100A.

I'm going to wait to see what the Inspector has to say when they come to look at my work.

Marking on subpanel means that is maximum rating. You can feed it with less than that, that is why I ask what is feeder OCP? If it is 60 amp or less 10 AWG copper may be acceptable. Now we have to increase EGC if circuit conductors are increased in size for any reason so that has to be considered also.

Occupation
Inspector
Marking on subpanel means that is maximum rating. You can feed it with less than that, that is why I ask what is feeder OCP? If it is 60 amp or less 10 AWG copper may be acceptable. Now we have to increase EGC if circuit conductors are increased in size for any reason so that has to be considered also.

Markings on this panel are hand written. I have not yet seen the main panel where the feed come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.