gec splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman3736

I need to splice a gec connector, #4 to #2, other then a cadweld or crimp type ( I dont own a crimper) does anyone know if they make an irreversable connector?

Thanks Stan

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

not that I'm aware of. irreversible will be one piece, crimp or cadweld, it it's boltable, it's not irreversible. i've rented crimpers from suppliers in the past, check and see if thats an option

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Pedro, many suppliers will rent or loan you a tool.

Roger

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If you don't own a crimper, then it sounds like a good time to buy one. I have the Burndy MRC840 and really like it, used off Ebay, can't beat the price. I just had to file the serial numbers off...

:D

I use it all the time for crimping C-taps.

sandsnow

Remember when splicing the GEC, compression type connectors must be specifically listed as grounding and bonding equipment. 250.64(C)(1) 2008 NEC. Your 2011 version may differ.

wireman3736

Thanks guys, I'm going to buy the burndy MRC840 and be done with it, I have read where some have used this one with alu, just wondered about the legality since it says copper, the MRC840AL is for aluminum.:?

kwired

Electron manager
If I recall correctly there are some connectors out there that when proper pressure is applied the head of the tightening bolt snaps off. Would these be considered irreversible? Of course the device would need to be listed for use as grounding and bonding also.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Remember when splicing the GEC, compression type connectors must be specifically listed as grounding and bonding equipment. 250.64(C)(1) 2008 NEC. Your 2011 version may differ.

True and according to Burndy the only connectors with this listing must be crimped with a hydraulic or powered compression tool.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Are you saying this is for any size wire? Call me skeptical...
Yeah. I've been where you are now. Little while back I wanted to be able to splice a small gage (#4 copper and smaller) GEC and was ready to get another tool . . .

Well I searched for a loooooong time . . . . and gave up.

I'd love to have someone say, "Oh, get the ACME model xxxx, and here's a link."

Right now, the crimps listed and approved for grounding take almost 10 Tons of compression to be applied. A simple hand operated lever based tool can't develop that compression without built in hydraulics.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
These C-taps are approved for grounding and bonding, and can be crimped with a mechanical crimper. Page C100:

http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent//fci/documentation/2010_mc_section_c-compression_connectors.pdf

I don't see the grounding/bonding info on that page, but the inspector verified it in the installation instructions when I used some on a job for an equipotential grid.

I talked to an engineer a Burndy about a year ago about this and he said the C-Taps you are referring to are definitely NOT listed for grounding. They have another line that is but they can not be crimped with hand tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.