gec splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
That is not an application that is required to be irreversible.

Actually it is, because it's a solar GEC. But I think that's beside the point.

The point was that it's a compression connector listed as bonding and grounding equipment that comes with instructions that include the use of a hand crimp tool. It also just happens to be what I was using today. The larger size of the splice caps says its for wire as large as #4.

jaggedben

Occupation
equipment grounding conductor, not GEC.

The picture is of a micro-inverter system, and there are actually several GECs from multiple arrays being combined into one at this location, being installed in accordance with 690.47 (C)(3).

Again though, I think that if something is UL listed as grounding and bonding equipment then that means for both GEC and EGC, so how I was using it is not relevant.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I think that if something is UL listed as grounding and bonding equipment then that means for both GEC and EGC, so how I was using it is not relevant.
I spent some time looking for a document on these splice caps. I didn't find anything I could link to, where I looked, at the Ideal / Buchannan site.

Maybe you have something? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong site?

jaggedben

Occupation
I spent some time looking for a document on these splice caps. I didn't find anything I could link to, where I looked, at the Ideal / Buchannan site.

Maybe you have something? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong site?

Yeah, I couldn't find the bit that says "UL listed for grounding equipment" anywhere except on the box in the picture.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Yeah, I couldn't find the bit that says "UL listed for grounding equipment" anywhere except on the box in the picture.
Thanks for that. I'd overlooked that part of your photo. That's good enough documentation for me. So, in considering the GEC splicing rule, 250.64(C)(1), and its phrase, "listed as grounding and bonding equipment", is the splice cap "UL listed for grounding equipment" equivalent?

jaggedben

Occupation
Buchanan is Ideal, right?

With a catalog number you can look here and see if it is listed. Catagory code KDER is Grounding and Bonding Equipment. There are four files to look through.
So if it's in there youa re good. It doesn't have to be listed for GEC splice, just grounding and Bonding

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/cgifind.new/LISEXT/1FRAME/srchres.html

Thanks. For some reason your link doesn't work but search for Ideal and KDER and you get the results.

For the record, the Buchanan splice caps are there in the third file, KDER.E5238, cat nos 2006S and 2011S.

Also, for Al and for the record, I found the T&B color keyed C-Tap cat. no 54720 that I used to connect the other end of the #8 ground in the picture to the main #4 GEC for the building, also with a hand crimper. KDER.E3060. I wasn't going to bring it up before (didn't have a picture of the box) but now... :cool:

Weird that these companies don't say "UL Listed for Grounding and Bonding" in their online docs, but maybe it's taken for granted? (What else do people really use copper C-taps for?)

Status
Not open for further replies.