What would you do if your man installed this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbaumer

See attached pics. Not sure if the mechanical lugs screwed to the outside of the conduits are supposed to be substitutes for bond bushings or what.

Skill at cadwelding is lacking as well.

This is a grounding electrode system for a generator.

Attachments

• failed welds.JPG
    failed welds.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1
  • more failed welds.JPG
    more failed welds.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1
  • what is this a bond bushing substitute.JPG
    what is this a bond bushing substitute.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 1
  • what is this supposed to be.JPG
    what is this supposed to be.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Obviously the installer was improperly trained or wasn't given the proper materials/equipment to do the job correctly. Maybe even a combination of both.

bbaumer

I told them to tear it all out and start over and that I wanted a different crew on it this time. Fortunately they are not my employees. They are a working for me though.

Believe it or not this is actually the second try at this. I made them rip the first try out too. None of the welds were even close to good on the first try. Went back over there to check their second attempt this morning and found it not much better plus the tec screwed in lugs in lieu of bonding bushings. Oh, and the spray foam is their substitute for link seals.

This is just about the worst I've seen in 20+ years.

bbaumer

Dumpster people, get rid of them. Did you talk to who ever is in charge of them?

Yep. Met with him on site a little while ago. He was not very talkative but agreed the work was crap said they would get a new forman and re-do it all.

renosteinke

Does everyone realize that the Cadweld cartridges have a rather limited shelf life?

Those failed welds look like the charges had absorbed some moisture from the air - that's a problem even in Nevada - and that led to them not 'firing' properly.

Since you need to buy them in lots, and they're quite expensive, no one wants to toss the extras away. I'll bet that's what happened here.

ptcrtn

Looks like your molds leaked. Are they worn and loose or did he use wrong size and plug gaps with duct seal? I would us a torch to heat the molds and wires to avoid moisture but not try to light it.

cadpoint

The wire size should dedicate the shot size/type...

I do like the thougth of warming a clean mold and the wire, throw the heat blanket at the desire shot point.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Wow is right. I love that DB rated lug screwed to the pipe with a standard zinc tek 5 screw and fender washer. Yeah that connection is going to last. I guess it doesn't really matter though, because that definitely isn't the worst of it.

Somebody had a signature I read somewhere that said: "the world needs fewer electrical installers and more electricians." Seems appropriate, but they don't even qualify as installers IMO. Sad.

Last edited:

normbac

going to have to disagree with the criticism of the workers if they got it wrong the first time supervision is in order from the foreman if the foreman allowed this work he should be replaced immidiately and a new foreman should teach them how to do it right if we knew all this forum would not exist

Status
Not open for further replies.