240V Electric Range Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

When installing an electric range outlet where there is none, can a standard plastic 2-gang cut-in box be used? Or does the box need to be metal? The cable is 6-3 copper Romex (with ground), 4 conductors total, for a 4-wire circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It all depends on how many cubic inches the box is and if the box can accept the proper cable clamp.

480sparky

I've never seen a range recep that didn't have the holes to line up to a 2-gang device box. That's all I use.... a 2-g plastic nail-on.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always surface mount the range receptacle but there are 2 gang boxes made for this purpose. I use 2 gangs for dryer and the receptacle will work just fine. Just get a 2 gang dryer plate.

480sparky

Do they make 2 gang plastic cut-in boxes with KO's for a 6/3 connector?

You mean like an 3/8" NM connector you'd use on a metal box? Yes.

car-b225r.png

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I doubt that box is. Since the op is using 6/3 w/gr I bet it won't work. This one is only 38 cu. in and it is obviously larger than the old work box.

034481184157lg.jpg

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Why 40 cubic inches? (3) conductors + ground + internal clamp + device = 7 conductors * 5 cubic inches = 35 cu in. Not sure if the cable clamps need to be counted or not.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Why 40 cubic inches? (3) conductors + ground + internal clamp + device = 7 conductors * 5 cubic inches = 35 cu in. Not sure if the cable clamps need to be counted or not.
The ground is #10 so I think you have 32.5 cu in. and P&S has this and it is 42 cu. inches anyway.

64381FECA2574C6298B5FD13CB3E3AD5.ashx

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I forgot about the #10 EGC and assumed that the clamp was on the outside, also a large device might count as 4 conductors so you could end up with:

3-#6, B-R-W = 15 cu in
4-#6, Device = 20 cu in
1-#6, Clamp = 5 cu in
1-#10, EGC = 2.5 cu in

Total = 42.5 cu in

314.16(B)(4) Device or Equipment Fill. For each yoke or strap containing one or more devices or equipment, a double volume allowance in accordance with Table 314.16(B) shall be made for each yoke or strap based on the largest conductor connected to a device(s) or equipment supported by that yoke or strap. A device or utilization equipment wider than a single 50 mm (2 in.) device box as described in Table 314.16(A) shall have double volume allowances provided for each gang required for mounting.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, IMO those center holes are only for mounting the receptacle into a single gang mud ring for a 4x4 box.
The dryer is the exact same size device and it fits in a 1 gang box- we did that all the time when we had a 10/3 without gr.. It got tight with the ground but still fit but we went to a 2 gang.. The device is not wider than 2 inches so it only counts as one device.

jumper

The dryer is the exact same size device and it fits in a 1 gang box- we did that all the time when we had a 10/3 without gr.. It got tight with the ground but still fit but we went to a 2 gang.. The device is not wider than 2 inches so it only counts as one device.

Yes, but we are speaking of 6/3 w/g and the device, it ain't gonna legally fit here.

Unless you use an extension or two.

mbednarik

Occupation
Electrician
the carlon b232 and the thepit tp3600 are only rated for #10 and smaller wire according to the manufacuturer. For all #8 and larger wiring you need to use a metal or a box like the p and s one shown earlier, i got dinged on a rough-in inspection about a year ago on this subject.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.