Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Demand Factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Surely, 125% should be used for maximum demand for individual load or groups of loads per NEC.NEC states that if a load is on three hours,it can be treated as continuous load.Loads on for 3 hours only and loads on for 24 hours are both continuous.But a mixture of both will not have the same maximum demand as that had by loads for 24 hours i.e.,their demand factors are different .
The OP is requesting for a thumb rule for demand factors also.So why can not the link suggested in post#2 be used for that purpose?

The link applies only to Oregon, if that measure has passed, though a good idea, until it is adopted by the NEC or the locality or state in which the OP presides, it cannot be used for the OP's purpose unless the chargers are in Oregon. States can adopt or modify stonger or weaker code requirements at their own peril. In the states, each state can have different laws that affect you only while in that state, I believe it's in New Jersey where it is illegal to pump your own gas, but the rest of the country you can.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
You are literally too full to learn any thing more (perhaps reduction in intake of burgers,french fries,pork meat etc.,may make room for more learning.).See post #19.
TMHS, the issue is that this is a CODE forum. The information given is what the NEC requires. There are many requirements in the NEC with which many disagree, but the response was that the code requires it to be considered a continuous load, and that continuous loads require 125%. And I promise that with hillbilly's experience, and his answers that match numerous others here, that he is correct in what he says.

NOWHERE did he say he agrees with this. If you disagree with the code and have sufficient interest, there are avenues to get it modified ... you'll find an entire subforum here on thoughts for the next code issuance.

PLEASE ADDRESS the questions asked, and don't change the subject. If you want to raise a new question, raise it in a new thread. You are harming, not helping, your wants and wishes. I know that I'm getting tired of your consistently off-topic, erroneous, comments. Please remember that this isn't an electrical help forum (although there is some of that here), it is a NEC forum.

Mods, it is time to kick me off before I get rude.

mivey

Funny is you telling me about the NEC. :lol:
That is funny considering that you know more about the NEC than most people I know. I sure wouldn't argue with you over the NEC.

On second thought, I probably would. :D

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

You are really tipping your troll hand with comments like that. :D
That is exactly problem with you,I feel:simply dodging explanation with a joke or what.Coming back to the subject,am I correct in stating the following?
Say there are four 15A charger loads.Each one should be considered a load of 18.75A for individual maximum demand by assigning the factor 125% per NEC.The same 125% factor is applicable to maximum demand of all four loads.But this resultant maximum demand is not required by NEC to be equal to 18.75x4=75A.

iMuse97

That is exactly problem with you,I feel:simply dodging explanation with a joke or what.Coming back to the subject,am I correct in stating the following?
Say there are four 15A charger loads.Each one should be considered a load of 18.75A for individual maximum demand by assigning the factor 125% per NEC.The same 125% factor is applicable to maximum demand of all four loads.But this resultant maximum demand is not required by NEC to be equal to 18.75x4=75A.

Yes, it is. NEC gives no demand factors applicable to chargers for automobile batteries. While an engineered solution to this application might allow for a demand factor to be applied, the various states and localities that enforce the Code (authorities having jurisdiction) will not care for your engineered solution, nor will they be able to allow it. They are required to enforce the NEC as written and/or as adopted.

pete m.

Thanks.Derick already sent me a copy of NEC 2011.Will discuss further.

It has been a long standing practice on this site to reference an applicable code section when responding to a question. I will be the first to admit that I do not always adhere to that but it really does help!

Pete

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

220.14 (A)

Congratulations,you win :thumbsup: but subject to the following.

Demand factor = Maximum demand/total connected load.

Here both total connected load and thereby maximum load are 'ON' for 3 hours or more and so the factor 125% applies to both.As a result,demand factor is equal to 100% and not 125%.
See post # 5.I also win.
(The factor 125% is already applied to load,the demand factor should be 100%)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.