210.63 Air Conditioning Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

encoreman

I have a communications shelter that has a "through-the-wall" air conditioner. It is almost like a window air conditioner. Everything "hangs" on the outside of the shelter with a vent and return in the shelter. 210.63 requires a 125-volt, single-phase, outlet within 25 feet of the equipment.

Will an inside receptacle work? It would be within 25 feet. If I had to work on the outside part of the unit, it would probably exceed the 25 feet...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
While the requirement doesn't say it specifically, I believe the intent is that the receptacle be located within reach of a 25 ft extension cord. Also, the requirement only says it must be accessible, not readily accessible.

Judging from your comment about working on the outside part, I'd say no.

raider1

Staff member
Can you service this equipment from inside or does it require servicing on the outside?

IMHO the receptacle is required to be located no more than 25' from equipment that requires servicing. If all the servicing can be done from the inside of the shelter then I don't feel an receptacle would be required outside.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Can you service this equipment from inside or does it require servicing on the outside?

IMHO the receptacle is required to be located no more than 25' from equipment that requires servicing. If all the servicing can be done from the inside of the shelter then I don't feel an receptacle would be required outside.

Chris

I would agree with Chris. We have a couple of those here for our PD and FD radio systems.

tkb

I have a communications shelter that has a "through-the-wall" air conditioner. It is almost like a window air conditioner. Everything "hangs" on the outside of the shelter with a vent and return in the shelter. 210.63 requires a 125-volt, single-phase, outlet within 25 feet of the equipment.

Will an inside receptacle work? It would be within 25 feet. If I had to work on the outside part of the unit, it would probably exceed the 25 feet...

Servicing is done outside, so a receptacle is required within 25'.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
While the requirement doesn't say it specifically, I believe the intent is that the receptacle be located within reach of a 25 ft extension cord. Also, the requirement only says it must be accessible, not readily accessible.

Judging from your comment about working on the outside part, I'd say no.

HVAC guys don't make enough $ to buy a 50' cord?:happysad:

kwired

Electron manager
Is there even anything to service from outside? Many of these type of units have a case that gets installed then the unit slides into the cased from the inside. If it needs servicing it needs to be pulled back inside to gain access to anything.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Is there even anything to service from outside? Many of these type of units have a case that gets installed then the unit slides into the cased from the inside. If it needs servicing it needs to be pulled back inside to gain access to anything.

are they even serviceable:? i dont know? if it goes bad you throw it out and buy another unit.

i believe the intent of the 210.63 is for central units, not for wall units. :?

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Kwired is entierly correct. The only thing on the outside is the intake grill.

kwired

Electron manager
are they even serviceable:? i dont know? if it goes bad you throw it out and buy another unit.

i believe the intent of the 210.63 is for central units, not for wall units. :?

Actual window units yes, you are just as well to get rid of it. The units I described that have a shell installed thru the wall and then you slide the unit into the shell, not necessarily. I have seen many older units like this that are desired to be replaced only to find that there is no new unit that fits in same opening the old one was in, making replacement require wall modifications also.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... Everything "hangs" on the outside of the shelter with a vent and return in the shelter...

Servicing is done outside, so a receptacle is required within 25'.

Kwired is entierly correct. The only thing on the outside is the intake grill.
Judging by the OP, the unit is completely exterior mounted and serviced.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We have been using disconnects that include a gfci receptacle for the typical a/c condensing instal. Inspector at last job informed us what we had used was not a WR device. He allowed it this time but I took it as fair warning. We normally use devices that are both TR & WR.

kwired

Electron manager

Judging by the OP, the unit is completely exterior mounted and serviced.

After reading that again you are probably right.

We have been using disconnects that include a gfci receptacle for the typical a/c condensing instal. Inspector at last job informed us what we had used was not a WR device. He allowed it this time but I took it as fair warning. We normally use devices that are both TR & WR.

I have use those before. Don't think I have needed one since the TR and WR requirements kicked in. Not sure what is currently available. If you need to change out the included receptacle it may not be worthwhile in most cases. Rooftops they are really convenient since there is often no easy place to put a receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am having trouble wrapping my head around this unit. The ones I have seen are never meant to be serviced from the outside. Think of a hotel unit-- is that what this is? I can't imagine have to service a unit on the 10 floor from the outside. If the cord is on the inside then that is all that is needed in my opinion.

kwired

Electron manager
I am having trouble wrapping my head around this unit. The ones I have seen are never meant to be serviced from the outside. Think of a hotel unit-- is that what this is? I can't imagine have to service a unit on the 10 floor from the outside. If the cord is on the inside then that is all that is needed in my opinion.

I had to read OP again to figure it out.

Apparently only thing inside is the ducting. I don't know why OP said "almost like a window air conditioner" then described it as something else. A lot of units on communications buildings are similar to what he described. They apparently don't want the interior space wasted to a HVAC unit so it goes outside and is ducted into the building.

tkb

This is the type of AC unit I believe the OP is talking about.
They get installed at ground level outside cell tower enclosures and cable TV head end sites.
The only thing inside is the intake and discharge grills.
A receptacle within 25' is required on the outside of the building as per 210.63.

InteleCool2.jpg

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You're probably right Tim.
Since it's Thanksgiving I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know how many times lately that someone starts a thread asking a question that needs more info, then disappears into the sunset, leaving us to guess and assume.

iwire

Staff member
Since it's Thanksgiving I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know how many times lately that someone starts a thread asking a question that needs more info, then disappears into the sunset, leaving us to guess and assume.

You are right, we should have Walker, Texas Ranger hunt these posters down and bring them to justice.

walker-texas-ranger.jpg

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If it's like the units that Tim shows then I would say, yes it needs an outside receptacle.

And the only reason that some people are alive is because Chuck Norris let's them be.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.