210.63 Air Conditioning Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
This is the type of AC unit I believe the OP is talking about.
They get installed at ground level outside cell tower enclosures and cable TV head end sites.
The only thing inside is the intake and discharge grills.
A receptacle within 25' is required on the outside of the building as per 210.63.

InteleCool2.jpg

We install the same type of units on our shelters only the Mfgr. is Bard.
Every shelter gets an exterior receptacle within 25 ft. of the units.
Only thing serviceable from the interior is the heat strips and most of those are serviceable from the exterior also.
I did notice that the units had disconnects mounted on the wall but the units also have a disconnect installed in them behind that flap on the back of the unit.
We do not do mount disconnects if the unit has a disconnect installed in it.

encoreman

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

I regret not getting back with everyone, just now got back online. Yes the units are similar to the ones pictured, but made by Bard. Many times there are doors where a 25' cord will reach from inside.

However, based on everyone's comments we will probably stick with our standard of putting the outside outlet between the two units.

The reason I was questioning the requirement was because this was a solar powered shelter. Any AC has to be inverted...

The air conditioner is DC powered (not Bard, but imported from the Netherlands), but I guess the equipment needed to service the unit will probably be AC powered, so the inverter will have to be sized to handle the additional load. Based on where the units are located in relation to the doors, I will only add an outside outlet if it is more than 25 feet from an indoor outlet.

Thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.