White Paper on Pulling Cable through Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I have to do a white paper on the proper methods of pulling cable or wire through conduit. Can you please provide me with some links or resources for this subject.

The class is a Basic Residential Wiring Class and the lab setup is if it is in a Chicago Suburb, because there is a requirement at that area requiring conduit installations.

Thanking you in advance,

Don

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't do any heavy pulling, but I don't think you can write a paper on it.

make sure the conduit will properly house the conductors,
Make a nice pulling head:
use lots of pulling soap
use the proper pulling medium. (Hand pull or machine pull)

does this help?

i am sure others will chime in that have more pulling experience.

Pulling Cable

Pulling Cable

Edward,

Actually, I'm not writing a white paper as much as writing a course section (possibly a stand-alone white paper) on the subject. Like you I don't really don't have heavy pulls. Most of the puuls I've made have been accomplished with a snake or a vacumn and cotton ball on string, pulling a larger string which then pulled the cable.

The other problem I have is determing the angles needed for the offsets. I understand the "Trig"behind determing the sides or even the process given in the "Ugly's" book, but I have never had to calculate the size (in degrees) of the angles.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

you may want to talk with a local union hall or electrical outfit, to actually interview someone on the nuances of cable pulling. one could write a book on it, if one knew it. if not, there are so many tricks to it, it's difficult to encapsulate them. all instances can be different.

example, in new work at corner studs where the corner is tight, i drill 2 holes, one from either side, use a short piece of # 12 to get the nmc cable started, then work it around the corner. How about a whole house rewire, lots of subject mater to cover

if one is simply pulling 2 or 3 cirtcuits in a properly installed and properly sized conduit, it's a snap. if you are pulling 3000 feet of parallel runs of 650 kcmil copper , up 4 stories in a building with pull boxes at strategic locations, thats another story, and lots of muscle even with a pulling machine, and about a weeks worth of work for a crew.

iMuse97

If you do very large pulls in large conduit, parallelled over a long distance, you could write a book. We just spent 4 months running 4 parallelled 4" RMC and pulled 3 conductors and a ground in each, 12,000V. (The voltage specified by a plant engineer many years ago.) We replaced the main feeders for the plant.

6 men for 1 month.
12 men (some OT also) for 2 1/2 months.

Strife

One advice would be:"never make the head bigger than the combined wires diameter"
From experience I found that leaving 0.5"-1.5" of exposed copper (depending on size of wires) at the head helps greatly when pulling it, especially in metallic conduit (something to do with metal on metal friction VS tape on metal, and as the head is what takes the brunt of the pull....). Not to mention makes it easier to cut the head off without removing the tape.

Greetings,

I have to do a white paper on the proper methods of pulling cable or wire through conduit. Can you please provide me with some links or resources for this subject.

The class is a Basic Residential Wiring Class and the lab setup is if it is in a Chicago Suburb, because there is a requirement at that area requiring conduit installations.

Thanking you in advance,

Don

Strife

if you are pulling 3000 feet of parallel runs of 650 kcmil copper , up 4 stories in a building with pull boxes at strategic locations, thats another story, and lots of muscle even with a pulling machine, and about a weeks worth of work for a crew.

How about feeding from the "top"? Gravity will solve a lot of your problems.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

it will, but we wreally weren't interested in moving al that stuff up to the upper floors where we realy didn't have room for the spols, puller, etc, etc. it's easy to "analyse it when you're not there". it made sense to set up in the basement of the parking garage, for off loading set up, breakdown, lots of reasons, as the roll sgot smaller, we took them up the elevator

realolman

If you are using stranded wire, skin 4-5 inches of it, bend over less than half the strands and then cut off the strands that remain straight as close as you can .... then fold it over within the length you just skinned (skanned? skun? ) ..... the part you are hooking onto the fish tape or whatever will be smaller than the wire you are pulling.... a good thing.

If you're using solid wire, see if you can get stranded wire instead.:)

Last edited:

jimmac49

Greetings,

Thanking you in advance,

Don

Poly water web site has a lot of good info.
http://www.polywater.com/videocav.html

jimmac49

View attachment ESSEX.pdf
Greetings,

Thanking you in advance,

Don

See attached PDF. Lots of good info in this paper. Cable pulling has a lot of factors to be considered, to ensure a safe and sure pull. Also poly-water has a software program that is easy to use and simplifies complex pulling tensions and lubricating use.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
How many of you here giving advice have ever piped a house?

I did two or three for the state here. For some reason they wanted conduit up to Chicago's standards.

First we drilled a million holes. Then we bent up piles of stub 90s cut for switches and receptacles. While one guy was bugging boxes on to one end of the conduits, the other was in the attic running pipe everywhere in a willi-nilli fashion. I thought it looked awful, but no one would see it when we were done. Oh, we also had to cut piles of 30 inch stubs as that is the ideal length for getting them into the studs.

Once the raceways and boxes were done, we installed the wire. Eighty percent we just pushed in, the rest were easy hand pulls. For some reason, we used all solid wire. That was a real pain on the house we did in the dead of winter with no heat.

Then install the devices, and that's about it.

There will be some places where it's nearly impossible, or actually impossible, to run the pipe not exposed. When that happened we just kept close to the surface and then the carpenters covered them. Houses in Chicago are actually built a little different than they are here in Michigan in order to make the installation of the conduit easier.

Compared to roping (romex) houses, piping them is tedium and a real PITA (There's a quote you can use for your white paper). Think about the part about the 30 inch pieces of conduit. EVERY horizontal wall run is installed 30 inches at a time. And that's not the fun part. EVERY horizontal under floor run is installed 30 inches at a time. Think about how much fun that is with just a ladder. Even with the right stuff, like a Baker's scaffold, you are still doing it thirty inches at a time.

Getting the stub 90s in the wall/ceiling transition is a real joy. If the holes are off or crooked you are screwed and have to actually bend the pipe to make it hit the box. That's not allowed. The idea is to have the pipe land directly into the hole in the box without bending it. Then you clip the conduit to the studs. Yes, clip. I don't know what they are called, but part of this evil scheme is to use the clips that stand the pipe off the stud just the right distance to hit the hole in the box, which has a push in conduit connector it.

So, in the perfect world, you would grab your pre-bent 90 and slide a box on it. The boxes would have the connectors already installed by indentured apprentii. You would push a couple clips on the studs then you roll the 90 from the wall up into the ceiling and clip the box on while sliding the conduit onto the stud clips. The only difference between receptacle runs and switch runs is the length of the pipe. The entire process, if done by someone with a bit of experience, literally only takes a few seconds.

If the hole is drilled wrong, it can take ten times as long.

I could go on and on about this, as there are some real good things about it as well. I don't think I would do it on my own house, so I guess that gives you an honest opinion as to what I think about the practice.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
How many of you here giving advice have ever piped a house?

I thought the post was about pulling cable. Not quite sure what your question means.

Both from post #1

Bold added by yours truly for emphasis.

M4gery

K8MHZ, 30" is WAY too short. With a little finesse, an experienced residential pipe installer (mainly resi guys from the Chicago area) can get full sticks into the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.