Type of conduit shown in photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Im not an electrician, so im not exactly familiar with all types of electrical conduit. I went to a site visit yesterday, and do know that ive never seen the type of conduit being used. It looks like it is some type of low voltage cable covering or something. Any ideas? Also, is that a good method of support? :D photo.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Conduit is ENT Art 362

support of the box and conduit looks questionable

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Doesn't smurf tube have to be protected? Never used the stuff myself, I'm just going by what I've seen and in those cases it was always behind some sort of physical barrier or other protected space, like a machine housing.

kwired

Electron manager
I could be wrong but looks like it was covered and somebody removed drywall, paneling, or whatever and this is what they found behind it. The base trim is still in place at bottom of photo.

Npstewart

that is correct, it was behind drywall that was removed because the space is being renovated. I didn't know you could use concrete like that to support a cable.

kwired

Electron manager
that is correct, it was behind drywall that was removed because the space is being renovated. I didn't know you could use concrete like that to support a cable.

Thin layer like in the photo may have its limitations, raceway in a slab certainly doesn't need anything additional tosecure or support it, I would hope.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

looks like a renovation where it was embedded behind other materials. may not be "exactly to code," however, it got the job done, got the wires where they needed to go in a manner which allowed rework in the future, and the future is now so take it out and rework it with emt!:lol:

kwired

Electron manager
looks like a renovation where it was embedded behind other materials. may not be "exactly to code," however, it got the job done, got the wires where they needed to go in a manner which allowed rework in the future, and the future is now so take it out and rework it with emt!:lol:

Why would EMT be much of an improvement - especially if it is to get covered again?

maghazadeh

I think ENT showed up in the marketplace around 1978. In mid 1980's when pc's started coming to market, we used a lots of it with CARLON plastic device boxes, because PC's mfg required isolated grounding conductor. We did not have to use isolated receptacle (Orange) with the above.
Most fire inspectors were rejecting the use of ENT, claiming in case of fire toxic elements will release in the air. I believe that union did not like the use since lt was much faster to install than EMT.

kwired

Electron manager
I think ENT showed up in the marketplace around 1978. In mid 1980's when pc's started coming to market, we used a lots of it with CARLON plastic device boxes, because PC's mfg required isolated grounding conductor. We did not have to use isolated receptacle (Orange) with the above.
Most fire inspectors were rejecting the use of ENT, claiming in case of fire toxic elements will release in the air. I believe that union did not like the use since lt was much faster to install than EMT.

And there are places where you can't use ENT for the reasons you mentioned. In general rigid PVC, NM cable, and other non metallic wiring methods are not allowed in those same places.

Who cares if the union doesn't like it. Who cares if I do or don't like it. It is still permitted to be used according to Art 362.

Status
Not open for further replies.