Under cabinet lighting. What are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
I have used 12v puck lights but now I switched over to led flexible strips. I'm not really happy with the led strips. I'm looking for low cost UC lighting that works and looks good. Has anybody found this?

svh19044

Seagull ambiance 10w xenon festoons.

I've done a few with the led festoon replacement bulbs as well, and the customers seem plenty happy. The light output is surprisingly impressive, but with LEDs, won't fit the low price requirement.

PetrosA

Of any system I've tried, I haven't seen anything better than Ambiance. It may not be the cheapest, but it's definitely one of the most versatile, and it allows the customer to upgrade to LED at a later date without retrofitting the whole system.

For versatility, you have the option of 5W and 10W clear or frosted bulbs, 18W incandescent or xenon reflectors and up to 20W halogen MR11 plus all the LED versions all on the same track. No other system I've seen makes it so easy to get a constant light level across a countertop as this, not to mention being able to run it up into the cabinets if wanted, or along the top.

There are a lot of variables for calculating the time for rough-in, but finish on a 300W install usually takes me about 3-4 hours - that's tracks, end feeds, sockets, bulbs and transformer.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I offer mostly fluorescent from JUNO. low profile, good light output, very easy installation, not cheap.

PetrosA

Peter, have you had troubles with the clips on the Ambiance making a good connection? I seem to get a few on each install that give me problems.

Yes, if you don't push the socket down over the track correctly. Snapping one side in first, then snapping the other side in will cause issues. You need to press it down as evenly as possible so the tabs don't get bent. At this point I have to use both hands since my right thumb has been giving me a lot of pain from pressing in those sockets. What I'd really like to find is a good stripper for the Ambiance cable. Any suggestions?

kwired

Electron manager
I've always been a fan of the Trac 12 from Juno. Not cheap, but works really well.

Excellent product. Not cheap though.

Trac 12 installation:

MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-025S.jpg

Under or over cabinets - you can find other things that work but are somewhat limited by size and shape of what you use. Trac 12 can be customized to what you have easier. Plus you can either put more lights or less lights as necessary and not be set with fixed positions of the lamps.

I haven't found anything I like better for installation inside cabinet. A little hard to tell in photo but there are cabinets with glass panels in doors and Trac 12 installed along door styles to illuminate the interior of the cabinet. If you don't have glass shelves and only put a light in the top of the cabinet you only light the top shelf. Glass shelves or not light coming from the front better displays contents on the shelf.

kwired

Electron manager
Perhaps the drop-in cooktop hasn't been cut in yet. I can see the tall cabinet covering the vent.

Cooktop is in the counter along the wall to the right of what we are looking at in the photo. Has a big fancy range hood over it. Photo is looking over the island in middle of room with the sink in it. You can barely see the top of the faucet in the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.