Under cabinet lighting. What are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

My experience with tape style LED showed me a few of it's issues:

End connectors are not always decent. I've had some problems with getting them to make contact for more than the first few minutes without fiddling with the crimped connectors.

Depending on the age of the cabinets, it can take some serious cleaning to get the tape to stick. Since there's no option for screwing it unless you get AL channel (which increases the costs) you have to make it so the tape sticks.

Color is a crap shoot at best. What looks decent on a display may look sickly and unnatural on the customer's granite, even from a name brand manufacturer. The worst LEDs I've seen had nauseous green casts to them, so it wasn't that they were too blue or too yellow, but the red/green mix was way off. I've done two jobs where the customers had LEDs (one tape, one off-brand modules for Ambiance track) supplied through a lighting designer or showroom. They were the only two jobs where I couldn't wait to get far away fast ;)

I like the idea of LED tape, but I don't think it's going to have staying power. It's just too easy for the manufacturers to slap cheap, poorly binned diodes onto a tape and sell them. I also haven't seen a decent remote transformer option for LED tapes and I hate the idea of receptacles and SMPS in upper cabinets.

CopperTone

I have used 12v puck lights but now I switched over to led flexible strips. I'm not really happy with the led strips. I'm looking for low cost UC lighting that works and looks good. Has anybody found this?

NSL Xenon under cabinet lights - very easy to install. use to use seagull brand but kind of a pain in the butt to install.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
What issues have you had with the LED ribbon lights? I distribute/Install these on all types of application indoor and out and have not had any issues. My customers sing songs and do dances when I finish a job. Easy install, extremely low profile, long lasting, no heat issues or uneven lighting like you get with puck and Xenon make them my favorite choice. If it is the cost you should get with me I can probably get you a better deal.

The only problem I'm having with the led ribbon is one cabinet will look dimmer than the other. I've measured voltage. Can't figure it out. What I ended up doing is putting a 2nd strip.

PetrosA

The only problem I'm having with the led ribbon is one cabinet will look dimmer than the other. I've measured voltage. Can't figure it out. What I ended up doing is putting a 2nd strip.

What are you using to measure the voltage? Many of the LED drivers, like the electronic transformers for pendant lights are very high frequency (above 20 kHz) and very few multimeters can give you any, let alone an accurate, reading of the voltage.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
What are you using to measure the voltage? Many of the LED drivers, like the electronic transformers for pendant lights are very high frequency (above 20 kHz) and very few multimeters can give you any, let alone an accurate, reading of the voltage.

Had to learn the hard way with the with those pendant transformers. I've never had a problem reading the DC led transformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.