Under cabinet lighting. What are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I like the electrical! :)

Good, because the tile man chewed me out for not putting plugmold directly under the cabinets instead of the receptacles he had to cut into his backsplash and uglify his backsplash.

Picture was taken shortly after it was finished. I bet if you go there now there is things sitting on counter and you don't even notice the receptacles in the backsplash that much.

svh19044

Good, because the tile man chewed me out for not putting plugmold directly under the cabinets instead of the receptacles he had to cut into his backsplash and uglify his backsplash.

Picture was taken shortly after it was finished. I bet if you go there now there is things sitting on counter and you don't even notice the receptacles in the backsplash that much.

I don't blame the tile guy for being upset by those receptacles, phone jack, and switches. That was something that should have been discussed in design, or at least a different color should have been chosen instead of white.

On point with the subject though, the u/c lighting is excellent and I have yet to have any problems or complaints with linear lighting. It's perfectly uniform, so at least the tile guy should be happy about that. :happyyes:

Also, since I have never priced out Trac 12, what is the price comparison to the Seagull Ambiance? (higher/lower/equal)

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I don't blame the tile guy for being upset by those receptacles, phone jack, and switches. That was something that should have been discussed in design, or at least a different color should have been chosen instead of white.

On point with the subject though, the u/c lighting is excellent and I have yet to have any problems or complaints with linear lighting. It's perfectly uniform, so at least the tile guy should be happy about that. :happyyes:

Also, since I have never priced out Trac 12, what is the price comparison to the Seagull Ambiance? (higher/lower/equal)

Most likely higher. Not only are materials expensive, it takes some time to put it all together.

I have not installed any for at least 2 or 3 years, some old prices I still have in my system:

4 foot track 17.50
6 foot track 23.50
rigid loop lampholder 4.75
rigid loop lamp (5 or 10 watt) 3.00
150 watt transformer 110.00
480 watt transformer 160.00

If you need additional track fittings like elbows end feed connectors etc., they will be at least $5-10 each.
Each track comes with one end feed connector, but you need another one if continuing on from the end of track with additional circuit.

The track is easily cut to length so you can make it fit almost anywhere imaginable.

To get uniform light the entire length under a cabinet you want a lampholder installed at least every 3 or 4 inches. and use the 5 watt lamps. You can cheat a little and use 10 watt lamps and space them farther apart but it does not really make that big of a difference in total price.

So if you had six feet of cabinet and wanted to span the entire six feet with 5 watt lamps spaced about 4 inches apart you would have

1- 6 foot track 23.50
18 - lamp holders 85.50
18 - lamps 54.00
1 - 150 watt transformer 110.00

about $273.00 in Trac 12 components, plus cable and time.

Biggest killer is needing multiple transformers. In this install there is still about 60 watts available for more track under another cabinet.

kwired

Electron manager
Just a side note, why not keep the switches and counter receptacles the same height? I know this is just an opinion, but doesn't it look nicer?

I don't know why. I have always put kitchen counter receptacles at 42" above floor and switches at 48" to top (but usually not a disposer switch it is always 42) I guess I like to keep switches at same height throughout the place so you are always reaching at same height to operate them.

Nobody ever complains, I'm guessing they don't notice it as much as I would.

Like I said earlier, after they put some things on the counter it is even less noticeable.

stickboy1375

I don't know why. I have always put kitchen counter receptacles at 42" above floor and switches at 48" to top (but usually not a disposer switch it is always 42) I guess I like to keep switches at same height throughout the place so you are always reaching at same height to operate them.

Nobody ever complains, I'm guessing they don't notice it as much as I would.

Like I said earlier, after they put some things on the counter it is even less noticeable.

I was just curious, I usually install all my switches at 43" to bottom throughout, just my preference of course.

svh19044

Overall, that's about the same prices as the Ambiance, and it's a very similar product. I just never used it as I'm comfortable with the Seagull products. I'm also a huge proponent of plugmold too, even though the new TR plug mold has far less receptacles compared to the older stuff.

RoseKitchen035-1.jpg

uc7.jpg

p238001.jpg

dec1109019.jpg

Work008-1.jpg

Last edited:

copper chopper

what ever works

what ever works

since I only do commercial work ( mostly hospitals) we install flourscent covered strip lights 12,18,24,36,48 inch lenths and take a 1 or 2 t-5 lamps. I have no idea how expensive they are but they look nice and thanks to a double order on one job I have them in my kitchen and havent changed a lamp yet in over 2 years.

also here in wisconsin those halogen puck lights are illegal to install under a wood cabinet as there ul listing is not for this,,it has to be a non-combustable material...

svh19044

svh19044 is this your work in post # 28 ? Nice job overall, however in the dining room photo

between the two china cabinets there is a white recptacle. Black would have been a better choice

IMHO.
They were changed to brown when new switches were installed, and yes, my projects. Why would you have chosen black? Perhaps the picture is just showing the stain closer to that dark, but brown was the closer choice.

Last edited:

PetrosA

svh19044, nice looking work!

It's a shame in the first photo that they have those two pillars on the island. It really breaks things up and must have made your layout tough on those recessed lights.

Normally I run my Ambiance along the front of the upper cabs, but on that cooktop counter with the stone wall I would have been tempted to run it closer to the back to bring out some texture. That looks like my kind of kitchen :)

svh19044

svh19044, nice looking work!

It's a shame in the first photo that they have those two pillars on the island. It really breaks things up and must have made your layout tough on those recessed lights.

Normally I run my Ambiance along the front of the upper cabs, but on that cooktop counter with the stone wall I would have been tempted to run it closer to the back to bring out some texture. That looks like my kind of kitchen :)

The one unfinished pillar is actually structural in this instance, a steel jacking post, so I guess it made sense for them to incorporate the second post in to the design. I use lasers on the ground for island lighting, so it's not such a big deal to align them in the arc.
IMAG0119.jpg

As for running the ambiance towards the back, I'm sure you have worked with soapstone as well, and it eats up a LOT of light. The task area needs all the light it can get.

Our areas of work probably overlap a little. It's nice having the customer base that we do. :happyyes:

Also, a showing of gc supplied lv puck lights. :thumbsdown: I'd rather eat some of the cost and throw in the ambiance than use these things. And on another note, you can see the plates low and horizontal as to not interfere with the backsplash so much. In this case, almond was chosen by the designer, but being low, they aren't as obtrusive.
IMAG0244.jpg

And again, Ambiance
IMAG0434-1.jpg

stickboy1375

Great choice. The only I don't like about those is that there low voltage and use a transformer. I have replaced a few of them. I try to use the line voltage Xenon under cab lights by Counter Attack.

just curious, what was bad about being low voltage? I've yet to replace a transformer, but can't see it being an issue either...

PetrosA

The one unfinished pillar is actually structural in this instance, a steel jacking post, so I guess it made sense for them to incorporate the second post in to the design. I use lasers on the ground for island lighting, so it's not such a big deal to align them in the arc.

As for running the ambiance towards the back, I'm sure you have worked with soapstone as well, and it eats up a LOT of light. The task area needs all the light it can get.

Our areas of work probably overlap a little. It's nice having the customer base that we do.

Also, a showing of gc supplied lv puck lights. I'd rather eat some of the cost and throw in the ambiance than use these things. And on another note, you can see the plates low and horizontal as to not interfere with the backsplash so much. In this case, almond was chosen by the designer, but being low, they aren't as obtrusive.

It's always a learning experience, which is one of the things I like about kitchens. I haven't worked much with soapstone to be honest, but I did a kitchen a few years back with dark green granite tops and backsplashes that came up almost 30" with no upper cabinets:

63866_151530238215532_149716035063619_233737_4775340_n.jpg

I finally got myself a laser. Very handy for pendants and such. I prefer to wait till the islands are in place to cut anything in, so I generally leave some loops up till then. I've seen too many islands move 6" one way or another at this point. With the island you did, there probably wasn't room for maneuvering the island in any direction with the column there, so it was a safe bet, but I'd still rather not have to see the shadows those pillars must cause. :sick: A recent Tech job pushed me over the edge to get the laser.

385281_276928099009078_149716035063619_716783_936869909_n.jpg

This isn't the best pic, but for anyone who hasn't seen Ambiance lighting installed, it might be interesting:

380496_276928175675737_149716035063619_716786_1612391114_n.jpg

The kitchen designer I work with knows that the only place I'll install puck lights is inside a cabinet. He won't even ask me to install fluorescent at this point ;)

Receptacles low and horizontal. Ugh. :rant: This always seems to happen to me in houses where all the lines come in from top and bottom, the wiring was installed with a stretcher and the customer is on a tight budget. I'd prefer plugmold. It's kid of funny, but I almost never use or see almond devices. My local supply house doesn't stock it and you don't see it in the area. North of Rt. 30, yes, south, almost never. Interesting.

Judging from the Wawa cup, I'm sure you know where Rt. 30 is :cool:

No Limits

LED lighting

LED lighting

I have used 12v puck lights but now I switched over to led flexible strips. I'm not really happy with the led strips. I'm looking for low cost UC lighting that works and looks good. Has anybody found this?

What issues have you had with the LED ribbon lights? I distribute/Install these on all types of application indoor and out and have not had any issues. My customers sing songs and do dances when I finish a job. Easy install, extremely low profile, long lasting, no heat issues or uneven lighting like you get with puck and Xenon make them my favorite choice. If it is the cost you should get with me I can probably get you a better deal.

kwired

Electron manager
What issues have you had with the LED ribbon lights? I distribute/Install these on all types of application indoor and out and have not had any issues. My customers sing songs and do dances when I finish a job. Easy install, extremely low profile, long lasting, no heat issues or uneven lighting like you get with puck and Xenon make them my favorite choice. If it is the cost you should get with me I can probably get you a better deal.

I have no experience with the ribbon lights, but in general LED's have had poor color temperature as compared to xenon or halogen. This color temp may be acceptable for outdoor lighting but would drive me nuts indoors.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't really care about color, so long as the color is consistent. That has been a problem in the past.

I will tolerate 3500K but don't like it. Anything higher I find very annoying. And yes I hate walking into a room with a different color temp lamp in every fixture in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.