120 to 480??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Praedatus1

Hi, I work in the oilfields and my boss wants us to use a 480-120 transformer, wire it backwards and feed a cathodics testing box. He wants us to use 120v feeder to secondarys and get 480 to power the cathodics testing receptacle. Will this work? I need 2 phases 480 to work the cathodics. I was thinking it wont work since I am only starting with 1 phase (120)...? Also, is this safe?? Our cathodics load is very small, like <.2a
Thank you!
Tim (journeyman)

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
If all you need is single phase 480, as long as your transformer, and whatever cord you are using is of enough capacity, you are fine

kwired

Electron manager
If the transformer has 240/480 capabilities I would likely ground the center tap and therefore lower voltage to ground.

Grounding one line is your only choice for a two wire output.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
While Besoeker's option is permissible, which condition in 250.20(B) would you apply to require it? It is a separately derived system, so 250.30 (B) applies but it doesn't require either of the 480V legs to be grounded.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Yeah, if this is a 120 V control transformer that he is backfeeding it most likely is 240/480 on the higher voltage side and would have a center tap.

templdl

As I read all of the post one thing that appears to have been oveerlooked was the VA required. Smaller MT type transformers do not have a exact 4:1 winding ratio but a slightly higher secondary ratio, that is a bit highter than 1. If 480v is applied you will get a slightly higher than out. This is because of how a MT transformer is applied and the way if is loaded to provide better regulation. As such if you input 120 in the LV side the HV out will be less than 480v.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
As I read all of the post one thing that appears to have been oveerlooked was the VA required. Smaller MT type transformers do not have a exact 4:1 winding ratio but a slightly higher secondary ratio, that is a bit highter than 1. If 480v is applied you will get a slightly higher than out. This is because of how a MT transformer is applied and the way if is loaded to provide better regulation. As such if you input 120 in the LV side the HV out will be less than 480v.

440,,,,,,,,,,,,460,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,480,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,481, most times it really don't matter much, `Long as I'm getting my money come friday :D

Besoeker

It's a valid point and one that has been made in previous threads.
I suppose the ensuing question is how accurate does the 480V need to be for this particular application.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It's a valid point and one that has been made in previous threads.
I suppose the ensuing question is how accurate does the 480V need to be for this particular application.
An impressed current cathodic protection system is basically current regulated and the voltage only needs to be "close."

Praedatus1

So will grounding the center tap on the 480 side be a safer install? It will help the fuses blow faster in the event of a ground short? Also, it seems to me that the other downside to single phase 120480 makes only single phase 480? Whichever wouldn't work for a motor...right?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
So will grounding the center tap on the 480 side be a safer install? It will help the fuses blow faster in the event of a ground short? Also, it seems to me that the other downside to single phase 120480 makes only single phase 480? Whichever wouldn't work for a motor...right?

Unless you had a 480V single phase motor. Not common, but no reason it can not be done.

In reality, there are no single phase motors. There are just motors with built in phase converters, and universal motors which are really DC machines.

Single phase induction motors are really two phase motors. The most common ones use a capacitor to shift the phase 90 degrees in order to produce the second phase. Some only use this second phase for starting, and some use it the whole time they are operating.

There are some exceptions to this, such as "shaded pole" motors, but these are mostly small very fractional horsepower devices used in small ventilation fans, clocks,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.