Can neutrals be twisted like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Photo shows several neutrals twisted together in the panel before each one individually connects to the terminal bar - just looks odd DSCF0467_edited-1.jpg

Strife

If it has the proper derating.... sure.
Otherwise I would definitely consider that a code violation in regards to heating.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Given the fact that it's less than 24" I don't see a problem other than it being poor workmanship.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It looks terrible and if you ever had to disconnect one it is a bear to deal with. Nothing against code but Dennis' Rules would chew you out for that install. :lol:
I think it looks a lot better than where they are just stuffed in. I would also chew a guy out, but only because to took longer to do it that way.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think it looks a lot better than where they are just stuffed in. I would also chew a guy out, but only because to took longer to do it that way.
Just stuffed in looks sloppy also but there is a fine line between perfection and doing a nice install. My work is similar to this

stock-photo-electrical-panel-1119141.jpg

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I wonder if they untwisted the end to connect them to the bar? Or did they shove all three or four of them in the same hole?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
There are a lot more issues here then you think. If this is a main panel then there is no main breaker. If it is not a main then the neutral and grounds should be separated. The egc's are all under one lug......We can argue whether a bushing is needed. T

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You have a cable feeding the panel and there are two conductors from breaker 1&3 that seem to go the lugs at the bottom of the panel.

besides, where is the workmanship manner?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You have a cable feeding the panel and there are two conductors from breaker 1&3 that seem to go the lugs at the bottom of the panel.

You are correct. It is a split buss panel so no main is needed but the equipment grounds should not be under one lug.

tonype

I wonder if they untwisted the end to connect them to the bar? Or did they shove all three or four of them in the same hole?

Most were untwisted and attached to individual screws (though 2 share one screw and another shares a screw with a bare grounding conductor).

tonype

This is a main panel.

The top 8 breaker positions are all labeled "Mains" (guess they were intended for (4), 2-pole breakers, though (6) single-poles and (1) 2-pole are in those positons). The 60-amp "Lighting Main" services the bottom breakers.

I also think, based on this configuration, that a main is needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is a main panel.

The top 8 breaker positions are all labeled "Mains" (guess they were intended for (4), 2-pole breakers, though (6) single-poles and (1) 2-pole are in those positons). The 60-amp "Lighting Main" services the bottom breakers.

I also think, based on this configuration, that a main is needed.
If the split base is more than the top 2 breakers than I agree esp. with the configuration. You could however add breaker ties and be compliant.

hurk27

If the split base is more than the top 2 breakers than I agree esp. with the configuration. You could however add breaker ties and be compliant.

Move the two pole 30 up to the top then put the two displaced single poles down at the bottom and this panel would meet the code requirement of not over 6 movements of the hand (six disconnect rule in 230.71), and since it is still the service disconnect the MBJ will be here and is treated as service equipment so no requirement of separating of grounds and grounded conductors. the top busses in this panel are in fact service entrance conductors and are design as such.

The above is based upon the 2005 and earlier NEC, 2008 408.36 Exception 1 eliminated this allowance of feeding a second buss within the same panel board.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
nice work on the 2nd pic. is the romex exposed to physical damage even if its neat?
Oh I bet there are some jurisdictions that won't allow it but that is perfectly compliant in my opinion.

I am sure someone would argue this job as non compliant

ry%3D480

Status
Not open for further replies.