Elect. Service question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

If going from a 4-0 riser to a 200a fused disconnect, to meter sockets, to disconnects shouldn't 4 conductors be run from the first 200a disco?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If going from a 4-0 riser to a 200a fused disconnect, to meter sockets, to disconnects shouldn't 4 conductors be run from the first 200a disco?

Is the first disconnect a poco requirement? By the NEC yes, 4 conductors.but since you're in front of the meter sockets it may be a poco standard. Ask them.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Milbank makes a combo cold sequence meter can with main breaker. If you do this, it's easy, clean and you don't need a disco after it as it is the service disconnecting means.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does the 200 amp disconnect qualify as the service disconnect or is it a meter disconnecting means as mentioned in 230.82(3)?

texie

Occupation
Does the 200 amp disconnect qualify as the service disconnect or is it a meter disconnecting means as mentioned in 230.82(3)?

I believe it does. IMO if you use the the method of the OP (non-fusible switch, then meter, then fusible switch/MB) you would would use 230.83(3) and bond the neutral at non-fusible switch, the meter can is bonded to neutral and the fusible switch (bldg. disconnect) is bonded to neutral and the grounding electrode system connection. In other words meter and non-fusible switch are upstream of the main disco and are grounded to the grounded service conductor. It just seems the milbank solution does it "all in one" and saves a redundant switch.

texie

Occupation
As I read the OP again I realize he is saying fusible switch ahead of the meter. In that case I think that would be the main and service bonding would occur at that point. But that raises other issues-where are you going to get a meter can that has an isolated neutral and would POCO rules allow this. I mistook this at first as a required cold sequence job.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In my opinion the first disconnect would need 4 wires to the meter. I believe they make an isolated neutral meter can.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
See 250.142(B) Exception 2. It allows grounding the meter on the load side of a service disconnect with the grounded conductor (but there are some requirements to meet in order to do that). I would think at the meter you would then need to separate neutrals and grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.