inspector requireing neutral between two services

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
there is nothing between the buildings electrically, except that neutral

Are you absolutely sure that this wire is a neutral connected directly to the grounded conductors at each building, and not a bonding jumper connected to the grounding electrode systems at each building? If it is a really a neutral I can't make any sense of this thread.

And I'm not saying that the code requires the GESs of both buildings to be tied to each other. My impression is, the code doesn't require that. I'm just saying I can understand someone saying that, but if there is a single neutral wire between the buildings then that's ... well, it's totally wacko.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
This doesnt make any sense to me either.

It would make more sense to me if the inspector had said that a Grounding Conductor (4 Wire Feeder) must be installed with the feeder to the House and to the Garage.

The old way of installing a 3 wire feeder to a seperate structure and bonding the neutral to ground in the subpanel is no longer acceptable.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Well, the inspector is right and wrong. If the service is now out at the pedestal, the conductors to the house and garage are now feeders and must have an EGC (the old methods are no longer allowed). But his remedy, if I understand correctly, is completley unacceptable.

If we all now agree the service disconnects are at the meter like I originally thought, the inspector is right, but the remedy is wrong.

kwired

Electron manager
This doesnt make any sense to me either.

It would make more sense to me if the inspector had said that a Grounding Conductor (4 Wire Feeder) must be installed with the feeder to the House and to the Garage.

The old way of installing a 3 wire feeder to a seperate structure and bonding the neutral to ground in the subpanel is no longer acceptable.

According to OP the inspector is asking for a 4 wire feed to each plus another conductor between the two buildings.

Necessity of a 4 wire feed really depends on whether or not the pedestal is the service disconnect.

The other conductor between the two buildings makes no sense at all.

tkb

Won't really do much to keep current off those communications cables. Besides the buildings both have neutral run to them from same point already.

They are tied together at the disconnect. I don't see what he wants- certainly 4 wires if they are feeders.

I don't agree with the method either.
Just trying to figure out why the inspector would want this.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
there are two disonnects at the pedestal

Do the disconnects have OCP, or are they just disconnects? That only answers the question as to wheather the conductors are feeders or service conductors, but enquiring minds want to know. The neutral between the buildings makes no sense either way.
Also, wouldn't that violate the rule about having the grounded and ungrounded conductors in the same cable or raceway?
I believe you said the wire/conductor has already been run. If so, after the inspector signs off and the final is done, I would disconnect it.:happyyes:

I still think I would have the inspector prove what he is (wrongly) requiring.:happysad:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't think that the OP has a code compliant installation with to begin. If pedastal has a meter and disconnect the wires leaving are feeders not service conductors.

Why you would put a meter at a pedestal without overcurrent but have a switch makes me wonder.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The short of it is, the inspector is creating half of a ring circuit, which is stupid in this case and now we have a large EMF issue.

Roger

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If these are in fact Feeders, In my mind I picture
Trenching a ditch to the Garage and installing a 4 Wire Feeder.
Then trenching a ditch to the House and Installing a 4 Wire Feeder.
No where in this picture do I see trenching a ditch between the House and the Garage and installing a single Neutral Conductor.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What I'm saying is I've never heard of having to install a single Neutral conductor between the House and the Garage.

Nor would I.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What I'm saying is I've never heard of having to install a single Neutral conductor between the House and the Garage.

Nor would I.

Ohh, then we're on the same page. :)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.