Well Duh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattus

My trusty hp-15C started giving me strange results when using the trig functions. After several days of head scratching, I realized I had in complex mode!

Duh again!

mivey

My trusty hp-15C started giving me strange results when using the trig functions. After several days of head scratching, I realized I had in complex mode!

Duh again!
So are you looking for sympathy, ridicule, insults about your abilities/understanding/education, comic relief, help, or what?

rattus

Duh!

Duh!

So are you looking for sympathy, ridicule, insults about your abilities/understanding/education, comic relief, help, or what?

I get the ridicule and insults anyway. What is especially galling is that I was part of the team that developed the hp-35. I don't think it had a complex mode though so does that let me off the hook?

mivey

I get the ridicule and insults anyway. What is especially galling is that I was part of the team that developed the hp-35. I don't think it had a complex mode though so does that let me off the hook?
If you helped develop the HP, my hat is off to you and I'll give you a pass. I own a handful or so HPs and they are my favorite.

rattus

If you helped develop the HP, my hat is off to you and I'll give you a pass. I own a handful or so HPs and they are my favorite.

I had one of the first 35s personalized with my name. Sold it a collector because my heirs wouldn't know what to do with it. Also have a Casio which I found on the sidewalk. RPN is the way to go alright.

hurk27

So you worked on the Tom Osborne team for Bill Hewlett?

That must of been exciting, I remember reading about the Green Machine project (named because of the metallic green selected from the 1960s paint palette of GM?s Cadillac automotive division it was painted with)

and the HP-35 (Bill named from the 35 keys it had)

Here is a letter written by Tom Osborne to Dave Packard who was writting a book on the history of HP that give some great insite to how the HP-35, and the green machine was devoloped.

HERE

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I preffered my TI SR-50.
I want to say it did polar-rectangular conversions easier than RPN, but in the back of mind I believe I am remembering wrong.

SR-50 died about the same time I learned Lotus 1-2-3, never got another 'smart' engineering calculator.

rattus

So you worked on the Tom Osborne team for Bill Hewlett?

HERE

No, I actually worked for MOSTEK who did the PMOS IC's for the 35. We insisted on breadboarding the IC chips before we committed to silicon. That was my responsibility. I supervised three techs who built the breadboard with low power TTL. I went through hp's logic, the TTL breadboard logic, and the PMOS logic in the process. For ROM we used a diode matrix. We found a couple of problems in hp's logic and microprogramming by the way. I remember sitting at my desk with this 100 pounds of circuitry on my desk, talking on the phone with hp, trying to resolve a programming issue. This was late 1971.

Made a number of trips to Palo Alto in the process.

AMI also provided the same chipset, but they didn't build a breadboard.

Most fun project I ever worked on.

We did another breadboard for the hp-21.

beanland

RPN

RPN

Ah, so nice to hear from others. I learned on an HP 97 and still use an HP RPN today (HP-11C?). With my new Android tablet, I found an RPN calculator app because the only one still made is the HP financial calculator.

rattus

Apparently not. Those of us who use it love it, but hp seems to be going to algebraic notation these days.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
I still have my 1970's HP35 sitting on the desk near the computer. But I don't have a good battery so I only use it with AC power from the wall-wart.

rattus

I still have my 1970's HP35 sitting on the desk near the computer. But I don't have a good battery so I only use it with AC power from the wall-wart.

You can have those battery packs rebuilt. A local hardware store replaces the ni-cad cells in all kinds of battery packs.

gar

Occupation
EE
120305-1612 EST

rattus:

Post the question on the other thread as to which group prefers RPN to something else. It might be interesting to see rbalex's response. Jim already provided his comment. Before they were out of stock we bought up about 10 32Ss to have some for the future.

RPN is vastly superior for my normal use of a calculator. My 16C quit and that was a real loss. I started with the 45.

It is too bad that H and P don't still run the company. My earliest knowledge of the company was when Sy Sterling was just starting as a sales rep for HP about 46 or 47 when he demonstrated the HP oscillator. It was probably a 200 something. By the early 50s it was a 200CD. I bought one of those about 61, and still have it. In the early 50s I used several 200CDs in psychophysical audio experiments.

You see a lot of problems in companies after the founders or competent family members loose control.

Status
Not open for further replies.