240V/40A/60A Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktrou

.Guys,

Was asked this today by a customer, they purchased a SPA and well it's understood that it's a 240V circuit but what is unclear is if needs a 40A or 60A panel / GFCI.

The website simply states that 4 Wire 240/40A/60A and well I'm guessing that it's based off of a 60 Amp draw but I've never see it reference both before.

Can someone clarify?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
.Guys,

Was asked this today by a customer, they purchased a SPA and well it's understood that it's a 240V circuit but what is unclear is if needs a 40A or 60A panel / GFCI.

The website simply states that 4 Wire 240/40A/60A and well I'm guessing that it's based off of a 60 Amp draw but I've never see it reference both before.

Can someone clarify?

More than likely this is a dual rated spa. The wiring in the Spa will have to be reconfigured depending on what you have available. At 40 amps, the heat will come on but the motor won't run, and vice versa. At 60 amps, the motor and the heat will come on at the same time.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Or they have one instruction manual for two different models of spa, depending on the heater or pump size. They don't want to publish two separate manuals, but they expect you to figure out which model you have, the one that needs 40A or the one that needs 60A.

i.e.
This manual covers the following units:
Model XYZ-1100 with an 1100W heater, 1/3HP pump
Model XYZ-1500 with a 1500W heater, 1/2HP pump

Guess which one takes 40A and which one takes 60A?

kwired

Electron manager
.Guys,

Can someone clarify?

We have a few possibilities that all have major enough differences that you will want to know for sure what you will have if trying to run some wiring before it arrives. I would get the model number and find installation manual if you are trying to do wiring before it arrives or you may end up doing something over when it arrives, otherwise wait until it arrives and then it better be more obvious what is needed.

You stated 4 wire 240/40A/60A. If it is a single circuit supplied unit 4 wires would make you think there is a neutral.
If it is a two circuit unit then it must be 4 wires with ground, but no neutral.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Here is a copy for the conversion:

230V~/60Hz 30A Conversion Option: If there is not 50A of electrical service available, an authorized Bullfrog Spa dealer or Electrician can easily convert the spa to operate on 30A (conversion instructions are located inside the Control System Box). Please be aware, spas converted to 30A are only capable of heating the water when pump 1 is in low-speed, not high-speed. This heating limitation is acceptable in most climates as well as indoor installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.