Slow employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

How do you deal with slow employees? I have one but He is very compitent and reliable but slow. I do not know what to do. Do I charge less? I am starting to feel like I need to.
Thanks.

satcom

How do you deal with slow employees? I have one but He is very compitent and reliable but slow. I do not know what to do. Do I charge less? I am starting to feel like I need to.
Thanks.
Sounds like you may need to charge more, electrical work is not a race, it is a skilled craft, a true craftsman will usually complete a task without racing and leaving a job filled with errors and missed work segments.
Every time we had a speed demon on a job, we had rework and lost time.

Gac66610

I have one of those slo-mo workers also, but always on time, if not early
I have shown him ways to "save steps" some sink in some dont
I wish he wouldn't stop to talk to everyone that shows up on job but I doubt he will, he has good "people skills"
It is nice to be able to tell a builder "Mike" will be there, he gets jobs done, maybe not as fast as others but as satcom stated

"electrical work is not a race"

As long as jobs get done I can handle the slow and steady

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Sounds like you may need to charge more, electrical work is not a race, it is a skilled craft, a true craftsman will usually complete a task without racing and leaving a job filled with errors and missed work segments.

Well said....:thumbsup:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Thanks.

Charge more.

Electrical work takes time and the last thing you want is stressed out maniacs making mistakes because they think fast is more important than doing the best Electrical work .

Fast always means mistakes were made and you will have to do rework for nothing and the costumer that had to call you back will not be happy regardless even if you fix stuff for free they will look for a more competent Electrical contractor for the next job.

Slow steady workers that cover all the bases are worth the money because you will never get a call back in just about every case.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Well said.....:thumbsup:

iwire

Staff member
It depends, many times electrical work is a race and even when it is not a certain level of production must be maintained.

I try to put the slower guys with great people skills on T and M jobs.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
It depends, many times electrical work is a race and even when it is not a certain level of production must be maintained.

I try to put the slower guys with great people skills on T and M jobs.

many times electrical work is a race

And just about every EC that thinks that way is out of business over time because of all the problems left behind and that = lost costumers, many Electrical contractors make this mistake driving their guys beyond their capacity of getting the job done right the first time and scared of losing their jobs if they don't get it done fast enough

Funny how you never see plumbers running around like scared maniacs...:lol:

iwire

Staff member
And just about every EC that thinks that way is out of business over time because of all the problems left behind

You are wrong about that, I know it is what you want to think is true but it is not.

Funny how you never see plumbers running around like scared maniacs...:lol:

This statement here shows how little you know about larger work, you are out of touch with much of the trade You do not work for GCs and that is a fine personal choice but large contractors who want to do large projects do work for GCs they make good money at it and it is a race for all the trades.

You choose not to go down that road and I respect that, but you will never make millions that way. Neither will I as I am hourly but the company will do very well.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

If proper work completion schedule is maintained and adhered to,what is the meaning in 'electrical work is a race','It depends'or 'Making millions that way'?

iwire

Staff member
If proper work completion schedule is maintained

What is a 'proper work completion schedule'?

A schedule that is 'proper' to the workers may be entirely 'improper' for the customer.

I am currently the foreman on a 4 story office building fit up for the new building owners, they gave us about a month to make happen what should take two months. That is the schedule they want and that is the schedule we accepted. Now it is a race to make it happen.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..work for GCs ..is a race for all the trades.
Perhaps a good distinction between construction & service work. Plenty of road construction in my region finds the workers well over their heads in un-shored trenches; its an epidemic, as if OSHA went bankrupt. Whether speed race or ignorance, the workers assume all risk, since contractor consent will never have existed.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Some jobs are races, some aren't. To make any money on residential you have to move quickly. Tracing wires and drawing a working schematic for controls in a small industrial takes a painstakingly long time. I think the guys are always to slow if i stand around and watch them. Leave. Go do something else.

I am currently the foreman on a 4 story office building fit up for the new building owners, they gave us about a month to make happen what should take two months. That is the schedule they want and that is the schedule we accepted. Now it is a race to make it happen.[/QUOTE]

Which are you running.... 2 or 3 shifts to get this job done in time for the customer?

If only 1 shift, what is the bonus incentive offered to employees to double their production?

Were all employees given a mass hypnotism creating a sudden double in production?

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Which are you running.... 2 or 3 shifts to get this job done in time for the customer?

If only 1 shift, what is the bonus incentive offered to employees to double their production?

Were all employees given a mass hypnotism creating a sudden double in production?

No, we are just manning it more than we would normally, it is just compressed to the point where you are putting up devices on wet paint etc.

Gac66610

I have several builders, three are doing quite a bit, they're telling me to that they are getting ready to "gear up" and asked me if i was going to be able to keep up
two builders using 2 framing crews, one in a slight panic cause he has nothing sitting around "ready to sell" so he'll dig 6 or 8 basements at a time
the only time i get upset about a deadline is when its "hurry up" , "need this done by .. " then it sits waiting for sheet rockers for two weeks:blink:

guess thats the nature of the business, las tyear my lil 4 man crew did between 65 and 70 new homes, hope that number increases this year:happyyes:

arnettda

I do not want a tennis shoe shop where everyone runs and quality is crap, but there is a line where efficiency comes into place. If nothing else for the customers side . How can you justify if 3 employees take between 15-30 min and another one takes 45?

ritelec

He is very compitent and reliable but slow.

Slow is a relative term.

Is he not fast enough in your eyes? Not a "shop rocket"?

Is he pacing himself knowing that he will be doing this a long time......and doesn't what to get broken????

Are you paying him enough in his eyes or is he working to reflect your pay rate?

Do you give him any incentive for completing jobs on time (on time in your mind).

Does he pack his lunch? Or walk to work? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.