Slow employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

yep.......lets do 30 yrs in the trade........get licensed..........keep all the insuranse companies flourishing ...try to...well I......... kinda thinking done.

Sell my house for peanuts, maybe be able to afford a mobile home, park it in Arizona ( I like UFO's) .......and work at a 7-11...................but it's the quality of life right?............

boo whooo whooo.......................as he does the littlest violin in the world gesture.

man oh man.............

Think I'm challenged..............

As are we all...........

Thank you for letting me moan..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVFBK9GhS5Q

Ha Ha Ha Ha ............................NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!! I ain't Dead Yet!!!!!!!!!

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I know guys that look like they are asleep but at the end of the day they did more work than anyone.
I know guys that look like they are asleep and are. I try to keep them off my jobs.
If the guy takes a long time looking at the project, yet completes it in the aloted time correctly and looks like art work, what is the problem? I try to put slow guys with fast guys so I end up with 2 med. guys. Tall and a short depending on the job.
If you run the job you need to find a way to get the work out or get the guy out!
Personally I had a new JW tell me I was the lazist JW he ever saw. He got to the job site first soon after that and had the job lined out by the Co. owner, I drove up on time got out and let him fill me in on the job. I walked the job (working foundry) and he was off running pipe. I started a pipe run on the other side of the gear, LB, cut wall, got 10' through wall, guy walks up "what are you doing I have 80' pipe up! why are you going that way?" I asked how he was getting by the furnace and the crane? "What", we go for a walk and he starts taking down his pipe, at break I tell him thats why I'm the laziest JW he knows!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I know guys that look like they are asleep but at the end of the day they did more work than anyone.
I know guys that look like they are asleep and are. I try to keep them off my jobs.
If the guy takes a long time looking at the project, yet completes it in the aloted time correctly and looks like art work, what is the problem?

I agree, agree, agree, but you have many bosses who's comment would be, well if you worked that slow and got that much done, think how much you could have got done working faster.

Of course you also have the new guy that shows up and just puts everyone to shame for a week, trying to impress the boss, and then finds out that he can't keep up that pace.

NicolasB

Increasing certainty will increase speed.

Increasing certainty will increase speed.

Do drills. This will speed up electrical actions without generating mistakes. We aren't asking the guy to perform rocket science when he has a day of devices to install. We just want him to do the action right and do it without wasted time. So you observe a slow action such as making up a recetpacle. You at a later time when not on job site do a "make up the recepticle drill." You set up the box and a timer and say start. You stop the timer when he says "done." You verify the work is top notch. Then you do it again. Get a better time. Do it yourself. See how fast you can do it with no error. Then you set what you think he should be able to do as a target and start him again. Just keep at it until the speed comes up. Don't be angry about it. Have a reward such as a bonus in pay if he makes the target for the days production. The drilling is just to help him make that target and therefor it helps him too cause he is getting the bonus.

Some people don't want to work fast. They will make errors on purpose when you push them. Just to make you feel guilty for pushing them and get you to relax. These kind of people aren't improving in life. They won't help your company in the long run. Also they pull down the production of everyone else on the team. Do the drills. If they won't work on the drill to increase their speed and accuracy then maybe it is a parting of the ways decision that needs to be made.

kwired

Electron manager
If the guy takes a long time looking at the project, yet completes it in the aloted time correctly and looks like art work, what is the problem? I try to put slow guys with fast guys so I end up with 2 med. guys. Tall and a short depending on the job.
If you run the job you need to find a way to get the work out or get the guy out!
Personally I had a new JW tell me I was the lazist JW he ever saw. He got to the job site first soon after that and had the job lined out by the Co. owner, I drove up on time got out and let him fill me in on the job. I walked the job (working foundry) and he was off running pipe. I started a pipe run on the other side of the gear, LB, cut wall, got 10' through wall, guy walks up "what are you doing I have 80' pipe up! why are you going that way?" I asked how he was getting by the furnace and the crane? "What", we go for a walk and he starts taking down his pipe, at break I tell him thats why I'm the laziest JW he knows!

Seen that too. Some guys - any trade - just show up and think they need to hurry up and get done, start slapping things together with no good plan. They usually end up having to redo things because something was not planned for, overlooked, etc. When I start a project - whether work or even a honey - do project at home, it often appears nothing is being done, but I am usually studying about every aspect of the task at hand and making a plan whether it is written or just in my head. Once the real physical work begins it usually goes pretty smooth and usually doesn't require reding everything because something was looked over.

Do drills. This will speed up electrical actions without generating mistakes. We aren't asking the guy to perform rocket science when he has a day of devices to install. We just want him to do the action right and do it without wasted time. So you observe a slow action such as making up a recetpacle. You at a later time when not on job site do a "make up the recepticle drill." You set up the box and a timer and say start. You stop the timer when he says "done." You verify the work is top notch. Then you do it again. Get a better time. Do it yourself. See how fast you can do it with no error. Then you set what you think he should be able to do as a target and start him again. Just keep at it until the speed comes up. Don't be angry about it. Have a reward such as a bonus in pay if he makes the target for the days production. The drilling is just to help him make that target and therefor it helps him too cause he is getting the bonus.

Some people don't want to work fast. They will make errors on purpose when you push them. Just to make you feel guilty for pushing them and get you to relax. These kind of people aren't improving in life. They won't help your company in the long run. Also they pull down the production of everyone else on the team. Do the drills. If they won't work on the drill to increase their speed and accuracy then maybe it is a parting of the ways decision that needs to be made.

New apprentice - maybe. No need for doing drills for simple device connections. Even an experienced installer will likely do the first few a little slower than the next 20, 40 or 100. Repetive tasks will almost always start at one rate, will usually increase in efficiency, but at some point efficiency will likely decrease again if there is too much repitition. People need a break or a change and then come back to the task sometimes.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We have some small jobs going on right now and a good share of it is "in shop" until it is ready to be installed. One of my guys looks like he is standing around alot but I know this part of the project is time consuming detail work. I decided to speed things up. I left the shop and them to their work. My day went much faster.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The difference between the slower guy and the lazy guy is often attitude. The lazy guy will often be a whiner. No matter what job he gets "I got the dirty job" or "why didn't Jim or Joe get jobs like this?" "I get all the dirty jobs". Other guys will ask not to work with him or will avoid him where they can. He will poison other people too, pointing out every issue he thinks is wrong. He will often moan that the boss isn't doing his share if he doesn't carry and use tools. I told more than one guy that "The boss is here to run the job and we are here to work it. Whether he turns wrenches or not is his business". The lazy guy whines no end and turns out poor work that someone else has to fix. He spends far more time and energy whining & slacking than he would spend doing his work properly.

kwired

Electron manager
The difference between the slower guy and the lazy guy is often attitude. The lazy guy will often be a whiner. No matter what job he gets "I got the dirty job" or "why didn't Jim or Joe get jobs like this?" "I get all the dirty jobs". Other guys will ask not to work with him or will avoid him where they can. He will poison other people too, pointing out every issue he thinks is wrong. He will often moan that the boss isn't doing his share if he doesn't carry and use tools. I told more than one guy that "The boss is here to run the job and we are here to work it. Whether he turns wrenches or not is his business". The lazy guy whines no end and turns out poor work that someone else has to fix. He spends far more time and energy whining & slacking than he would spend doing his work properly.

You just described 99% of the available labor force for any job:happyyes:

Strife

Because that boss is an IDIOT (and I DO MEAN to offend anyone who thinks that way).
Maybe the reason for the productivity was THE PLANNING???

I agree, agree, agree, but you have many bosses who's comment would be, well if you worked that slow and got that much done, think how much you could have got done working faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.