Scared of Electricity Hights and Women. "High Votage"

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
We use the term "equipotential grounding" or creating a zone of equilized potential.

Do you really call an area of equilpotential that is thousands of volts above ground 'grounded'?

I would not and I doubt you have in the real world either.

iwire

Staff member
Strange, you are usually such an agreeable guy.

I disagree.

It has nothing to do with what intentionally grounding a conductor does.

I did not explain my analogy well

But I refuse to call something operating at thousands of volts above earth potential as 'grounded' if you choose to that is fine as well but I don't think it makes much sense.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I disagree.
No you don't.:D
I refuse to call something operating at thousands of volts above earth potential as 'grounded' if you choose to that is fine as well but I don't think it makes much sense.
Well then you just gotta get out their and try it. I can hook you up if you want.

Last edited:

zog

What you posted has nothing at all to do with the activities in the video. What you posted has to do with working on dead lines, not live lines.

I disagree, the concept is the same, creating a zone of equilized potential. When personal protective grounds are installed one of the three primary functions is to create an equipontential zone in case the grounded lines become energized for some reason. The only difference is in the video the lines are already energized, but same concept.

That is why I posted both terms, "equipotential grounding" and "zone of equalized potential"

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
What you posted has nothing at all to do with the activities in the video. What you posted has to do with working on dead lines, not live lines.

If you take the time and read the link it talks about both live and dead work.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I disagree, the concept is the same, creating a zone of equilized potential. When personal protective grounds are installed one of the three primary functions is to create an equipontential zone in case the grounded lines become energized for some reason. The only difference is in the video the lines are already energized, but same concept.

That is why I posted both terms, "equipotential grounding" and "zone of equalized potential"

I completely agree with zog, every one seems to be forgetting about the mesh suit the guy is wearing, which is energized to, they are not really "grounding" the helicopter, they are creating an equipotential plane around the worker, so that he can work on it live.

iwire

Staff member

I find it astonishing that anyone would find connecting dead lines to earth the same as connecting live objects to an isolated object.

That is why I posted both terms, "equipotential grounding"

"Equipotential grounding" In my opinion is not what is shown in the video

"Zone of equalized potential" In my opinion is what is shown in the video

Or can I ground live ungrounded lines without incident?

iwire

Staff member
I completely agree with zog, every one seems to be forgetting about the mesh suit the guy is wearing, which is energized to, they are not really "grounding" the helicopter, they are creating an equipotential plane around the worker, so that he can work on it live.

Yes, they are they are creating an equipotential plane around the worker, I agree 100%.

The only issue I have is some want to call that grounding and IMO it is not grounding it is bonding.

zog

I find it astonishing that anyone would find connecting dead lines to earth the same as connecting live objects to an isolated object.

"Equipotential grounding" In my opinion is not what is shown in the video

"Zone of equalized potential" In my opinion is what is shown in the video

Or can I ground live ungrounded lines without incident?

I don't think you are reading what I am saying, I never said the helicopter was grounded I clearly stated two different terms for two different applications, I just said the concept is the same.

So when you attach protective grounds to a de-energized system and someone energizes it when you are working on it do you still call that grounded?

iwire

Staff member
I don't think you are reading what I am saying,

Right back at ya.:D

My only beef has been calling what is shown in the video as 'grounding'.

So when you attach protective grounds to a de-energized system and someone energizes it when you are working on it do you still call that grounded?

If I attach a conductor between any object and the dirt of the earth (or to a another conductive object connected to the dirt) I call it grounded.

If I attach a conductor between any two objects that are both isolated from the dirt of earth I call that bonding.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are in a spacecraft and one conductor of the electrical system is bonded to metal frame of spacecraft can you truthfully call this the grounded conductor or do you need a conductor that is many miles long running back to earth and tied to a ground rod before you can call it grounded?:cool:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If I attach my safety grounds to the phase wires and to the neutral of a deerergized line to work on it, it is "grounded" (the old saying, if it ain't grounded, it ain't dead). The helicopter in the video is "bonding on". When we stand on a Baker board and stick transmission, we are "isolated".

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
If I attach my safety grounds to the phase wires and to the neutral of a deerergized line to work on it, it is "grounded" (the old saying, if it ain't grounded, it ain't dead). The helicopter in the video is "bonding on". When we stand on a Baker board and stick transmission, we are "isolated".

Thanks....:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.