Old GFCI becomes dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnk

I was working on a house with 30 year old Leviton GFCI receptacles. Three would not trip when tested with a 6mA load. On two of them the test button did not click and did not trip the GFCI. On one GFCI the test button clicked and popped up the reset button, which could then be reset--but at no time was the power disconnected. A false test button test. All were installed correctly. Two were high usage, bath and exterior outlet, one was low usage. Do GFCIs have a replacement life?

stickboy1375

I was working on a house with 30 year old Leviton GFCI receptacles. Three would not trip when tested with a 6mA load. On two of them the test button did not click and did not trip the GFCI. On one GFCI the test button clicked and popped up the reset button, which could then be reset--but at no time was the power disconnected. A false test button test. All were installed correctly. Two were high usage, bath and exterior outlet, one was low usage. Do GFCIs have a replacement life?

Educate your customers on actually testing GFCI's monthly, also, the newer GFI's dont fail in an ON position anymore, its been addressed....

Gac66610

Educate your customers on actually testing GFCI's monthly, also, the newer GFI's dont fail in an ON position anymore, its been addressed....

and with most electronic devises they tend to go bad over time
replacement life .... not sure, maybe someone else will know

svh19044

There were no previous requirements, but some manufactures chose words like "test frequently". Then a couple manufacturers (maybe Hubbel???) came out with a self testing GFCI so it was no longer needed for them.

Now, or for the past couple of years, GFCI's are required to have an EOL function. When it can no longer operate properly, it automatically trips. So as stated above, if it fails, it's in the off position.

I would think that any sort of lifespan would be negated by the various voltage surges and spikes.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I was working on a house with 30 year old Leviton GFCI receptacles. Three would not trip when tested with a 6mA load. On two of them the test button did not cliYesck and did not trip the GFCI. On one GFCI the test button clicked and popped up the reset button, which could then be reset--but at no time was the power disconnected. A false test button test. All were installed correctly. Two were high usage, bath and exterior outlet, one was low usage. Do GFCIs have a replacement life?

Yes it seems that alot of the older ones do that,And they are never tested by the HO anyhow.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There were no previous requirements, but some manufactures chose words like "test frequently". Then a couple manufacturers (maybe Hubbel???) came out with a self testing GFCI so it was no longer needed for them.

Now, or for the past couple of years, GFCI's are required to have an EOL function. When it can no longer operate properly, it automatically trips. So as stated above, if it fails, it's in the off position.

I would think that any sort of lifespan would be negated by the various voltage surges and spikes.
As far as I know, there is no automatic trip at end of life. There is an end of life indication and if you try to test it or it loses power you will not be able to reset it.

svh19044

As far as I know, there is no automatic trip at end of life. There is an end of life indication and if you try to test it or it loses power you will not be able to reset it.

Sorry, I misworded that. Automatic trip was a poor use, when it can no longer test properly, it will trip and stay off, as in it automatically stays off at EOL. They are either required to have an automatic trip or visible (light) indicator. And I think it might be some of the P&S gfci's that have an audible indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.