THHN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR600

Does anyone know if THHN is sunlight res?? I am curious if this insulation would be acceptable to use for service loop/service entrance installed in conduit?

GSXR600

That was the first place i checked. I didnt see anything regarding sunlight res there for any conductors. I also check on south wire site and didnt see anything there either.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't think there is any guarantee of it being sunlight resistant by code -- will be manufacturer specific. That said, just about all THHN I've seen in sizes 6 and larger have been sunlight and oil resistant. I used it in a service mast.

DARUSA

I don't think there is any guarantee of it being sunlight resistant by code -- will be manufacturer specific. That said, just about all THHN I've seen in sizes 6 and larger have been sunlight and oil resistant. I used it in a service mast.

Plain THHN is not rated for wet location. THWN-2 yes and it is Sun light resistance!!

All I have ever used for services is THHN.

Years ago, we did a service upgrade. The service's location changed. We had to temp the new service to where the drop hit the building. If I remember right it was about 10' away. We had always used 8-3 NM to make that temp connection. We failed that inspection because of the temp. He wanted us to replace the NM with 3 individual #8 THHN conductors. We did, and it passed.

iwire

Staff member
Ok ,but can you use THHN in a wet location ? How it can be permited for service drop?

No, what I am saying is a lot of THWN-2 in smaller sizes is not sunlight resistant.

You pretty much have to check every time, either read it from the wire or from a cut sheet.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No, what I am saying is a lot of THWN-2 in smaller sizes is not sunlight resistant.

You pretty much have to check every time, either read it from the wire or from a cut sheet.
UL Wire and Cable Marking Guide table regarding THHN/THHW sunlight resistance references note 35, which states, "A product evaluated for sunlight resistance is marked “SUNLIGHT RESISTANT”, “SUN. RES.” or "SR."

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I've seen a lot of Cu XHHW (XHHW-2), and rarely see any Al anything ;)

Again, what's that got to do with it???

Bob asked a question,"What would you use?" So I answered it. You may not see AL anything but all that means is your doing a different type of work. When it comes to making money and there is nothing requiring CU in the spex Why not use AL? It is less expensive, it preforms just as good as CU (if not better) and it is easier to work with. I would even argue, to a tree hugger, that it is "GREENER" then copper because it is less dammaging to the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.