Cleareance for Meters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does a power meter display have an electrical clearance?

I am working for a client that has a lot of space issues and I am running into the question of what has a clearance and what doesn't have a clearance a lot. NEC 110.26(A) says "Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply..."

A power meter display is never opened or worked on. Does it need a clearance?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Whats it mounted on? Is it a small enclosure with a digtal read out?
Ok so perhaps it doesn't need clearance. But this is a slipperly slope and can be used to wiggle out of complying by saying we will never work on it.

resistance

Does a power meter display have an electrical clearance?

I am working for a client that has a lot of space issues and I am running into the question of what has a clearance and what doesn't have a clearance a lot. NEC 110.26(A) says "Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply..."

A power meter display is never opened or worked on. Does it need a clearance?
Utility owned meter location and specifications are dictated by the serving utility.

The clearance applies to meter sockets here in WI. The meter socket has parts that could need inspection or repair. Being that the meter socket is the responsibility of the HO, it is not POCO equipment.

resistance

The clearance applies to meter sockets here in WI. The meter socket has parts that could need inspection or repair. Being that the meter socket is the responsibility of the HO, it is not POCO equipment.
Interesting!!!! The actual meter housing (can) here is not owned by the POCO, but the meter is. So technically, you can’t do any maintenance or repairs without first consulting the meter owner. A civil fine could result, if a meter seal is broken, or tampered with. As stated: In our area, location and specification of utility owned meters, is dictated by the POCO.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion 90.2(B)(5)(a) puts most meters and their sockets out of the reach of the NEC.

90.2(B)(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric
utility where such installations

a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated
metering, or

Of course the serving utility will have requirements that will apply.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

This has been batted around a few times already. I am statrting to see iwire's opinion on this, still not cemented though.
Even though the can is not POCO equipment, once a seal or lock has been installed, does it not fall under the exclusive control of the utility?
The problem here is inspection and repair. A POCO isn't going to do either...

I have had a couple calls telling us that we (a private contractor) had to come out to diagnose before the POCO would, but generally they are pretty decent about checking their side if a HO calls to report a problem (unlike CATV). That being said, if the POCO comes out, they will not repair the meter socket as that is the HO's responsibility.

In my opinion 90.2(B)(5)(a) puts most meters and their sockets out of the reach of the NEC.

Of course the serving utility will have requirements that will apply.

I don't know that I agree with your interpretation. Take a typical OH service. The POCO's service drop connects to house wiring at the service point. I would consider that service point to be the change from POCO's control to HO control. The meter itself, is owned by the POCO so that wouldn't be HO control.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I don't know that I agree with your interpretation. Take a typical OH service. The POCO's service drop connects to house wiring at the service point. I would consider that service point to be the change from POCO's control to HO control. The meter itself, is owned by the POCO so that wouldn't be HO control.

Here is where I am still a little foggy on control. We install a lock or a seal on the homeowners meter base, effectively locking them out. Would this then not put the base under our exclusive control? Maybe not our responsibility for maintanience and repair, but under our control. I actually asked this same type of question of Jeff Rodriquez (JCR productions). I was told to call him directly as this isn't a cut and dried answer. I should do that soon.

So, are we saying that the sticking point on whether clearance is mandated by the NEC is who "controls" the meter socket?

Here's the way I look at it. The NEC dictates strapping, wire size, conduit size, ratings of conductors, bonding, everything after the service point. Being that the actual meter socket isn't the property of the POCO, it would also have to follow the NEC.

I know the NEC dictates clearances from ground to the service drop and that is under POCO control. You would be responsible to raise the attachment point to achieve the required clearance. So the NEC does have some control on the POCO's installation.

iwire

Staff member
Here's the way I look at it. The NEC dictates strapping, wire size, conduit size, ratings of conductors, bonding, everything after the service point.

Yes, everything except 'associated metering'

Or do you think that they made a mistake when they wrote 90.2(B)(5)(a)?:)

Keep in mind, I am not saying that no code applies, just a different code.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I know the NEC dictates clearances from ground to the service drop and that is under POCO control. You would be responsible to raise the attachment point to achieve the required clearance. So the NEC does have some control on the POCO's installation.

This is where you are wrong. The NEC dictates nothing to the POCO. The clearances that you speak of are for drops that are owned by the customer. Many farm services around here have several buildings with overhead and underground wiring that must meet NEC. These are after the point of delivery. Anything before the point of delivery, or under the exclusive control of the utility, is covered by the NESC.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I don?t understand why this is even a topic. I believe the OP needs to consult with his AHJ.
OK then, to get back on topic...
In the 2011 NEC there were 2 exceptions added. Exception #2 had to do with meters in sockets. Your answer to the question would depend on the code cycle you work under.
As far as the 2008 NEC, it would be an AHJ call.

resistance

Around here, it doesn?t matter which code cycle you are under, it will not override the POCO?s specs. If your jurisdiction allows you to be the owner of the meter, and give you the right to lock the meter. Then obviously you have the right to modify the meter to meet your billing preferences?.LOL:lol:. Heck, make it spin backwards..LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.