door bell transformer in panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcooper

So I did this multi unit condo job.I may have put the doorbell transformer inside the panel. All the units are sold. The last home inspectior flaged me for having the DB transformer inside the panel. BIG pain to remove it.
How can I justify this? The LV wire is rated for 600v. Ummmmm.... is this illeagal????
I was also flagged for not having both sides of the meter bonded but the secondary side is ALL plastic. Electrical Inspector had no issue with the bonding (because the secondary was all plastic).

I have to justify the DB trans in the panel

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the output of the transformer is Class 2 then those conductors are not permitted in the panel with the power conductors.

dcooper

code book is in my office. do you have a link to the definition of class 2 (so I can find the wording to work for me):D

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If the doorbell output, secondary wiring is rated for 600v or #14, you might find an exception.
You maid the money, so you find the exception.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Take a look here and see if you can find a loophole:

725.136 Separation from Electric Light, Power, Class 1, Non?Power-Limited Fire Alarm Circuit Conductors, and Medium-Power Network-Powered Broadband Communications Cables.
(A) General. Cables and conductors of Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall not be placed in any cable, cable tray, compartment, enclosure, manhole, outlet box, device box, raceway, or similar fitting with conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm circuits, and medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits unless permitted by 725.136(B) through (I).
(B) Separated by Barriers. Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be permitted to be installed together with the conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm and medium power network-powered broadband communications circuits where they are separated by a barrier.
(C) Raceways Within Enclosures. In enclosures, Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be permitted to be installed in a raceway to separate them from Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm and medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits.
(D) Associated Systems Within Enclosures. Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors in compartments, enclosures, device boxes, outlet boxes, or similar fittings shall be permitted to be installed with electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, and medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits where they are introduced solely to connect the equipment connected to Class 2 and Class 3 circuits, and where (1) or (2) applies:
(1) The electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, and medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuit conductors are routed to maintain a minimum of 6 mm (0.25 in.) separation from the conductors and cables of Class 2 and Class 3 circuits.
(2) The circuit conductors operate at 150 volts or less to ground and also comply with one of the following:
a. The Class 2 and Class 3 circuits are installed using Type CL3, CL3R, or CL3P or permitted substitute cables, provided these Class 3 cable conductors extending beyond the jacket are separated by a minimum of 6 mm (0.25 in.) or by a nonconductive sleeve or nonconductive barrier from all other conductors.
b. The Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors are installed as a Class 1 circuit in accordance with 725.41.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is a loophole in Exception #2 to 725.130, but very difficut to comply with....just move it out of the panel and put it where it belongs.

DARUSA

There is a loophole in Exception #2 to 725.130, but very difficut to comply with....just move it out of the panel and put it where it belongs.

Not so simple because probably he run the wire for the bell inside the panel too. Class 2 circuit can not be mixed with power conductors. You need to reclassified the circuit but it will depend on the type of wire that you use for the door bell .( thermostat wire?) better if you start moving the transformers!!!

John120/240

If the panel is your desired location: Some transformers fit a 1/2 " knockout with a threaded

hub & locknut or a metal wedge with a screw to secure X Form with. One method is to mount

X form on a basement pull chain box, or in a two gang box behind the chime.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
So I did this multi unit condo job.I may have put the doorbell transformer inside the panel. All the units are sold. The last home inspectior flaged me for having the DB transformer inside the panel. BIG pain to remove it.
How can I justify this? The LV wire is rated for 600v. Ummmmm.... is this illeagal????
I was also flagged for not having both sides of the meter bonded but the secondary side is ALL plastic. Electrical Inspector had no issue with the bonding (because the secondary was all plastic).

so you went back and moved the one that you got tagged on....
but it was multi unit.... what about the other ones?

i'm just sorta trying to figure out why you'd want it there in the
first place... help me here.... i'll usually toss a 3-0 box head
high in the FAU closet, feed it with 110, and put a DB xfmr thru
the knockout on a 3-0 blank cover, and be done with it.

i've never even see a DB xfmr in a panel. did i miss this episode
in the series?

Strife

You MIGHT HAVE? he he
How many units you're talking about?
10-15 I'd just put a 2-3 gang cut in box next to the panel, stick the transformer in and call it a day.
Doubt you'll find a loophole for this one

I may have put the doorbell transformer inside the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.