Upgrading a Residential Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
When up grading an electrical service on a resident, do yall run a new water pipe ground or use the existing water pipe ground. Also do you run a #4 Conductor to the gas piping system.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the GEC is not sized for the new service then IMO it is required to change it to the proper size.

As long as the gas piping has an appliance that has an electrical circuit then it is not necessary. 250.104(B) allows the egc to be used to bond the pipe.

If you have CSST-- the corrugated flexible gas pipe then it must be bonded at the point of entry to the building.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks Guys. Also when you are required to have two ground rods can u run just one #4 exposed to the ground rods, or do you have to have each one seperate.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks Guys. Also when you are required to have two ground rods can u run just one #4 exposed to the ground rods, or do you have to have each one seperate.

You can run a #6-- all the code requires-- to the first rod then run a bonding jumper to the second rod. I usually have one continuous piece of #6 that goes from meter to one rod and on to the other.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To me the key is in your wording "upgrade".
Are you increasing the service size or changing the location of the service disconnect ?
Keep in mind, if you are up-sizing you may have to increase the GEC to the water, as Dennis mentions..
If you are relocating the actual service disconnect remember the GEC must come from the SERVICE and not a sub-panel (some exceptions) plus splicing of GECs has limitations.

Gac66610

When up grading an electrical service on a resident, do yall run a new water pipe ground or use the existing water pipe ground. Also do you run a #4 Conductor to the gas piping system.

I agree with no and no,

the question I have to this is what if its an older house with the water pipe grounding at the nearest point, would you now need to run a new grounding wire to within 5' of the water service entrance?

Status
Not open for further replies.