Upgrading a Residential Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What if it is just a swap out, say 100A for 100A?
I think that will be an AHJ call but if you just changed out the panel I would say that you would not have to redo the gec to within 5'--- I probably would but not sure it can be enforced.

Gac66610

So if you change the service from a 60 to a 200 you would use the old GEC to the waterline?

not quite what i meant but to answer your question, no
trying to rem my old house that had a 60a service ... cant remember if water was even grounded ... lol

what part of water line is the question i have .... existing location or get it within 5' of water service entrance to bring upgrade to existing code

Gac66610

I think that will be an AHJ call but if you just changed out the panel I would say that you would not have to redo the gec to within 5'--- I probably would but not sure it can be enforced.

had a phone call while replying didnt see this

my inspectors require the move to water service entrance, was just curious what others thought

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Assuming metal piping entering I would force the connection to be within 5' for safety. Objectional current on the water lines.

mike1061

the question I have to this is what if its an older house with the water pipe grounding at the nearest point, would you now need to run a new grounding wire to within 5' of the water service entrance?

Here in Chicago you would have to. When modifing the service you have to bring it to current code. Even if you swap a 100 amp panel for a larger 100 amp panel.
Thanks
Mike

kwired

Electron manager
had a phone call while replying didnt see this

my inspectors require the move to water service entrance, was just curious what others thought

When installing a new service or updating an existing one, isn't the grounding electrode system as much a part of that system as the service conductors? If what is currently there is not correct for the updated service then you have an incorrect installation. Would you upgrade from 60 to 200 amp service and still use the existing 60 amp service entrance conductors?

I can't talk anymore, because augie47 said he would ban me.

Your thread got killed mostly because it became nothing but off topic - and was not necessarily your fault. Unfortunately it has hijacked a large part of this thread also.

You can open another thread and hopefully it stays on topic. If it does not, sorry, sometimes people are not interested in a topic enough to stay on topic.

renosteinke

The OP's question actually leads us to some interesting points ..... proving, once again, that a 'service change' is a lot more than just 'swapping panels.' At least, if you want to di it right!

I'll use my most recent service change as an example.

1957 house, with crawl space and 60-amp meter-base only on the outside of the house. No main in the panel inside the house. Meter 'triple-lugged' as someone, sometime added circuits for a clothes dryer and big window AC. Service was SER attached to the siding, and the weatherhead was also attached to the siding, under the eave.

New service used an "All-in-One" (100A) to feed the interior panel. This provided an outside disconnect for the panel. Neutral / ground bond made at the All-in-One.

The bond did not have to be 'relocated' from the interior panel, because the house never had any ground wires. House needs to be rewired, but that's another project.

An exposed ground wire (GEC) exited the old meter base, but was found to not attach to anything. No water bond was found, either. Theory is that the GEC / water bond were the same wire, and got removed when some plumbing was done. I don't know. In any event, a new GEC was run, in pipe, to two new ground rods. Conduit was bonded to the GEC at both ends, and covered with 'pipe wrap' tape.

In addition, a #8 water bond was run. In pipe on the outside of the house; simply stapled to the joists under the house until it reached the entry point of the water line.

Bonding the gas? Generally not done, and not done in this house. Had the gas piping method been CSST, as I understand the rules it would have been necessary to bond the piping at the meter end. (The appliance would bond that end).

SER was replaced with a mast through the eaves, properly braced, and anchored to the house framing. Mast was painted to match the house and roofing. Roof jack used, and sealed.

ddderek

replace bonding jumper or not to replace the bonding jumper... That is the question!

replace bonding jumper or not to replace the bonding jumper... That is the question!

I have rarely seen a bonding jumper that meets all the current code requirements when upgrading an old service... Obviously you look at it but in just about every single case there is usually something wrong... ie: size, location of attachment, etc. Same with the grounding electrode! You can bank on changing/upgrading both of these in almost all cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.