Panel Board Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
You think that since you have always worked in hot panels that that makes it the law of the land!

You have no idea what I think or what safety measures I practice.

You questioned why one would ever need to work on eneregized equipment, I replied 'making voltage measurements'.
For some reason you are trying to rationalize you belief that voltage measurements are never needed in a service panel at a 'house'.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
You have no idea what I think or what safety measures I practice.

You questioned why one would ever need to work on eneregized equipment, I replied 'making voltage measurements'.
For some reason you are trying to rationalize you belief that voltage measurements are never needed in a service panel at a 'house'.

Not questioning your ability to be safe. Removing the cover is the dangerous part after that it is a cake walk as to safety for a pro.

My point is that most resy work does not require any 'hot' work. Sometimes but not as a general rule.

Use to work with guys that the only way they could figure anything out was with the power on. That's just sad.

Go wire a home, shovel the wires in the boxes, identify nothing, give me a wiggy and my toolbelt and with no power available I'll connect everything in the home. I'll even point all 3-way and 4-ways down if you like, before energizing the panel.

Do I check voltage at the panel? Yes. Why? Because it is easier.

hurk27

Do I check voltage at the panel? Yes. Why? Because it is easier.

And that one statement in red is why it is likely;)

The problem I have is the pull out air disconnects that have all the terminals recessed to prevent finger touch, they are UL listed without a dead front as there is no way to contact any energized parts if installed properly, the intent of 110.26(A) is where you have exposed live parts, these do not have this, but yet some feel they fall under 110.26(A)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Anything you do with the panel cover off is hot work. (assuming that the panel contains the service disconnect)
Only if you are within the Restricted or Prohibited approach boundaries. Qualified employee and PPE requirements, for shock, begin at the Limited approach boundary and for Arc Flash at the Arc Flash boundary.

With a 42" Limited approach boundary all conductive items (e.g. tools) within the NEC working clearance dimensions would need to be dealt with.

Stevareno

And why would you ever have to verify voltage in a panel?

To verify that your power source is good. When a home owner complains that they lost power to 1/2 their house, you immediately suspect they lost a leg.
What do you do? Do you just brush them off and tell them to call the power company or do you take the service call to verify that that is the problem and not something else?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
To verify that your power source is good. When a home owner complains that they lost power to 1/2 their house, you immediately suspect they lost a leg.
What do you do? Do you just brush them off and tell them to call the power company or do you take the service call to verify that that is the problem and not something else?

We are discussing code (the rules) not real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.