• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1

kwired

Electron manager
A conduit body will only require support if it's larger than the trade size of the conduit when used with any of these raceways.

The exception you highlighted allows for support by only ONE raceway instead of the usual two or more if one of the raceways listed is used and if the conduit body does not contain devices, luminaires or lampholders. It says nothing that changes the distance to the first support, so the rules in the main article still apply

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The exception you highlighted allows for support by only ONE raceway instead of the usual two or more if one of the raceways listed is used and if the conduit body does not contain devices, luminaires or lampholders. It says nothing that changes the distance to the first support, so the rules in the main article still apply

I don't see it, where in the exception does it say that?

mark32

Great thread, but what have we learned? Can a "C" be used to "restart" a run when you're closing in on 360 degrees? Can they be an alternative to a (Straight) pull box/gutter? Do the answers to this depend on conductor size? Funny there's such confusion over this, such brain power and experience here at MH and still so many questions. This article needs some rewording as previously stated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Great thread, but what have we learned? Can a "C" be used to "restart" a run when you're closing in on 360 degrees? Can they be an alternative to a (Straight) pull box/gutter? Do the answers to this depend on conductor size? Funny there's such confusion over this, such brain power and experience here at MH and still so many questions. This article needs some rewording as previously stated.

What would be your answers to the questions that you've come up with? :)

mark32

What would be your answers to the questions that you've come up with? :)

Haha, I do believe a "C" can be used to help with the 360 degree rule as well as replace a pull box in certain conditions, I never questioned that until now. I enjoy learning so I'm curious if my thinking has been flawed.

kwired

Electron manager

Do answers depend on conductor size - most definitely. Smaller than 4 AWG - put all the conduit bodies you want in a run - each conduit body is a new starting point for amount of bends in the raceway. Over 4 AWG same thing - except you have to pay more attention to whether or not the conduit body works with the enclosed conductors.

Although big conductors does = big raceway, people tend to also think big raceway = big conductors, but that is not always true.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Haha, I do believe a "C" can be used to help with the 360 degree rule as well as replace a pull box in certain conditions, I never questioned that until now. I enjoy learning so I'm curious if my thinking has been flawed.

Yes it can under certain conditions. KW has mentioned a few of them. I see these installed all of the time on large raceways where they do not comply but some guys seem to think that they do. :roll:

Seems that just sticking a C condulet in a run is much cheaper and easier than installing a pull box not to mention these guys have no idea what the 8X rule for conduit bodies means. :eek:hmy:

mark32

Okay guys, let me sum this up. If the conductors being used are smaller than #4, a "C" can be used as a pulling point. If the conductors are #4 or larger, the "C" is almost worthless considering I don't recall ever seeing a "C" 8 x's the entry size in length. Are they made? Seems like the more expensive pull boxes or gutters would have to be used if one wanted to be code compliant. Sound correct?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Okay guys, let me sum this up. If the conductors being used are smaller than #4, a "C" can be used as a pulling point. If the conductors are #4 or larger, the "C" is almost worthless considering I don't recall ever seeing a "C" 8 x's the entry size in length. Are they made? Seems like the more expensive pull boxes or gutters would have to be used if one wanted to be code compliant. Sound correct?

Yes, one thing to note is that conduit bodes with conductors #4 and larger can still be used even if they do not meet the 8X rule providing that the manufacturer has tested it and listed the number and maximum conductor size inside of the conduit body and you can comply with that information.

mark32

Thanks Rob, I'm glad you bring that up because it means my usage of C's has been correct. For example, I just ran 1 1/4 pvc and the 1 1/4 C stated 3 #2's max, however I had three 12's and a #6 running through it so I stepped it up to an 1 1/2 C.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks Rob, I'm glad you bring that up because it means my usage of C's has been correct. For example, I just ran 1 1/4 pvc and the 1 1/4 C stated 3 #2's max, however I had three 12's and a #6 running through it so I stepped it up to an 1 1/2 C.

I am assuming you meant three #2 and not three 12's

That is where the problem with the markings on the conduit bodies comes in.

Did the 1-1/2 body you used mention more than 3 conductors?

There is not enough room to mark them with all the possible combinations that may be acceptable.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
...but there is no provision in the code for the "unmarked" combinations.

I agree, the way that section is worded you either comply exactly as the manufacturer has stated or you need to go with a conduit body that is 8X the trade size of the raceway. Doesn't make much sense but that's how it's written.

kwired

Electron manager
...but there is no provision in the code for the "unmarked" combintations.
That is correct, so am I in violation if I pull 20 - 10AWG in a conduit body marked 3-2AWG max? The "marked" combinations is pretty limiting compared to what the possibilities are for conductors in the raceways.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That is correct, so am I in violation if I pull 20 - 10AWG in a conduit body marked 3-2AWG max? The "marked" combinations is pretty limiting compared to what the possibilities are for conductors in the raceways.

Since you chose #10 AWG conductors in your example you are not required to comply with the marking. The marking only applies to conductors #4 and larger.

mark32

I am assuming you meant three #2 and not three 12's

That is where the problem with the markings on the conduit bodies comes in.

Did the 1-1/2 body you used mention more than 3 conductors?

There is not enough room to mark them with all the possible combinations that may be acceptable.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was in a hurry trying to get out of the house. I had 3 #2's, 3 #12's, and a #6. I forgot the awg size stamped in the 1 1/2 C but I know it only stated a single wire size such as "Max 3 #1awg".

kwired

Electron manager
Since you chose #10 AWG conductors in your example you are not required to comply with the marking. The marking only applies to conductors #4 and larger.

I kind of thought about that after posting. What if we have a combination of 4 AWG and greater as well as smaller than 4 AWG, what if it is marked max 3 -1/0 and I want to pull 4 -#4? Something tells me the 4-#4 will likely not be damaged in any way if installed yet it is not marked for this.

I really don't quite understand why there is not just a maximum size conductor marked on it instead of size and quantity like there usually is, yet from experience I kind of see that in some cases you could get 3 of one size in there but not a 4th without subjecting it to damage, but reduce the conductor and maybe the 4th will be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.