Municipal rules - how about them apples?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sec. 22-73. - International Electrical Code adopted.
hyperlink.png

(a)
The International Electrical Code, 2003 Edition, published by the International Code Council, Inc., together with all amendments thereto, save and except such portions as are inconsistent with the provisions of this subchapter, is hereby adopted and incorporated and made a part of this chapter as fully as if set forth at length herein. One copy of such code shall be maintained at all times in the office of the city clerk.

(b)
Any person violating such code shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction punished as provided in section 1-8 [of this Code].
(c)
The provisions of the International Electrical Code adopted by subsection (a) to the contrary notwithstanding, the city council shall constitute and sit as the board of appeals in all matters pertaining to such code.
(Code 1976, ? 5-34; Ord. No. 2006-20, 11-16-06)​
Sec. 22-74. - Amendments.
hyperlink.png

The following additions, deletions or amendments are made to the code adopted by section 22-73:​
(a)
Section 110-35 is added to read as follows:
110-35 No electrical materials, apparatus, devices, appliances, fixtures or equipment shall be installed in the city unless they conform with the provisions of this article and the statutes of the state. All electrical materials, apparatus, devices, appliances, fixtures or equipment used or installed in the city shall be of the type approved by the Underwriters' Laboratories, Inc.; and the symbol of such approval shall be placed on all such electrical materials, apparatus, devices, appliances, fixtures or equipment so used or installed.
Section 110-41 is added to read as follows:
110-41 Joints in or to branch lighting circuits shall have soldered connections or approved positive pressure solderless connectors.
Section 110-44 is added to read as follows:
110-44 Elsewhere, except in central stations and substations, circuits operating at more than 600 volts shall enter buildings or structures in conduit run underground or extended overhead from another structure.
(j)
Section 110-45 is added to read as follows:
110-45 All sockets within eight feet of earth or grounded surfaces such as floors of conducting materials, bathroom fixtures or kitchen sinks shall be controlled by a wall switch fully insulated from the operator.
Section 110-48 is added to read as follows:
110-48 The public electric service company shall never require the placing of a meter on the front or street side of a building without the consent of the owner. Where not practical in the opinion of the chief electrical inspector to place metering devices on the exterior of a building, they shall be located at a point or points convenient to the public electric service company's service, as determined by the chief electrical inspector.
(n)
Section 110-49 is added to read as follows:
110-49 Service conduit for any occupancy shall not be less than one inch in size.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know what state this in in but I would be willing to bet that some of these provisions are unforgeable, especially mandating UL listing. They may well be able to mandate listing, but I don't believe they would have any authority to mandate it from a particular company.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know what state this in in but I would be willing to bet that some of these provisions are unforgeable, especially mandating UL listing. They may well be able to mandate listing, but I don't believe they would have any authority to mandate it from a particular company.

I meant unenforcable. I guess spell check got me.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
110-35 No electrical materials, apparatus, devices, appliances, fixtures or equipment shall be installed in the city unless they conform with the provisions of this article and the statutes of the state. All electrical materials, apparatus, devices, appliances, fixtures or equipment used or installed in the city shall be of the type approved by the Underwriters' Laboratories, Inc.; and the symbol of such approval shall be placed on all such electrical materials, apparatus, devices, appliances, fixtures or equipment so used or installed.

This part could be tough since UL doesn't approve anything and not all materials used in an electrical installation are required to be listed by any NRTL. Who writes this stuff?​

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
The same one that want's conduit run overhead:roll:

Maybe. I also liked:

110-45 All sockets within eight feet of earth or grounded surfaces such as floors of conducting materials, bathroom fixtures or kitchen sinks shall be controlled by a wall switch fully insulated from the operator.

Sockets? Switches for all those "Sockets" ? Wow. :eek:hmy:​

nhfire77

Maybe. I also liked:

Sockets? Switches for all those "Sockets" ? Wow. :eek:hmy:​

Technically that also means meter sockets controlled by a wall switch too. ;)

dhalleron

I see stuff like this all the time. I work for a large company in sales full time instead of doing electric work on my own like I do part time. They are constantly having non qualified people write technical training, catalog sheets and such.

Instead of having me or one of the other guys with fire alarm experience look over the fire alarm training first, they sent it out companywide with many errors, lies and untruths...

The same one that want's conduit run overhead:roll:

When you quote the COMPLETE sentence, it becomes clear that, "Elsewhere, except in central stations and substations, circuits operating at more than 600 volts shall enter buildings or structures in conduit run underground or extended overhead from another structure.", means: circuits ... in conduit run underground or extended overhead....

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
When you quote the COMPLETE sentence, it becomes clear that, "Elsewhere, except in central stations and substations, circuits operating at more than 600 volts shall enter buildings or structures in conduit run underground or extended overhead from another structure.", means: circuits ... in conduit run underground or extended overhead....

I think its a good example of bad writing. I actually see examples like this in the NEC. You would think they would be more specific.

You say it means "Circuits...extended overhead".

I think an English Teacher would say it means "Conduits...extended overhead".

The noun "conduits" occurs much closer to the phrase "extended overhead" than the noun "circuits". In a well written sentence, the phrase would be closest to the noun it describes.

The whole sentance could be fixed by the simple insertion of another word - "circuits". Like this;

"...in conduits run underground or circuits extended overhead from another structure."

I think its a good example of bad writing. I actually see examples like this in the NEC. You would think they would be more specific.

You say it means "Circuits...extended overhead".

I think an English Teacher would say it means "Conduits...extended overhead".

The noun "conduits" occurs much closer to the phrase "extended overhead" than the noun "circuits". In a well written sentence, the phrase would be closest to the noun it describes.

The whole sentance could be fixed by the simple insertion of another word - "circuits". Like this;

"...in conduits run underground or circuits extended overhead from another structure."

To me it conveys this main meaning: circuits ... in conduit... or extended overhead.... the rest of the intermittent words are descriptive additions supply further details.

When you're dealing with a town of ~3200 people what kind of moneys do you think are available for retaining inspectors and have them write rules? This municipal governance in practice. By the People and for the People. (Y'all go and do what YOU want to do and we won't tell ya what to do, so don't tell us what WE should do either. THIS is why the US is so different, at it's core, unless you elect a buncha do-goodniks who will tell ya how to live.):lol:

As you can see they still live by the 2003 Code and don't see the need for all the new things introduced since such as AFCI and the ever expanding use of GF(C)I's. As you can see they also like to have some things done a certain way. You may don't like it, but they do and when you come to town don't be a community organizer, we all know where that takes us.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.