Frankenstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I have connected portables in past after ice storms where there was no provisions ahead of time. Usually pull meter, disconnect service conductors, or something of that nature to isolate the premises from the utility. Yes, they need to call me back when power has been restored to put it back the way it was, not my fault you did not think of this until last minute, and I am not going to connect something deemed unsafe. For those that think they are going to tell me how to do it - since you know so much why did you call me in the first place?

Right before and right after the storm is not the time to suddenly decide to have permanent arrangements installed, unavailability of materials, and high volume of service calls at this time just makes it impractical.

Buck Parrish

If you have a siemens a homeline or br , 200 amp main with a horizonal main breaker. You can use the top two breakers for your back feed. (two pole 20 or 30) If you tie wire a long 3/8ths masonary bit to your back feed breaker handle. It is without exceptions impossible to turn on the 200 amp main.
Your two pole breaker handle tie will have the metal bit pointed straight up. So when turned on the main must be off.
I know I'm going to get some slack for this.:happyyes: I wouldn't do it unless it was an emergency. And definetly go back and take it out. I've been through some Hurricanes and Ice Storms in NC

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Sleep, What's Sleep?

Sleep, What's Sleep?

I go on duty as the emergency service supervisor Tuesday morning. Forget about milk and bread, I'm stocking up on 5-hour energy drinks!

kwired

Electron manager
If you have a siemens a homeline or br , 200 amp main with a horizonal main breaker. You can use the top two breakers for your back feed. (two pole 20 or 30) If you tie wire a long 3/8ths masonary bit to your back feed breaker handle. It is without exceptions impossible to turn on the 200 amp main.
Your two pole breaker handle tie will have the metal bit pointed straight up. So when turned on the main must be off.
I know I'm going to get some slack for this.:happyyes: I wouldn't do it unless it was an emergency. And definetly go back and take it out. I've been through some Hurricanes and Ice Storms in NC

I can not seem to visualize what you are describing and how it makes an effective interlock. Any photos?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
One poles and in bucket trucks, of course:happyyes:

Yea, had to sleep in the trucks during Katrina, that or the tent city they built for us. Ever try to sleep with 500 snoring linemen?

I don't like to sleep in the truck after having worked for 40+ straight hours, hopefully, the motel rooms are reserved already.

kwired

Electron manager
Yea, had to sleep in the trucks during Katrina, that or the tent city they built for us. Ever try to sleep with 500 snoring linemen?

I don't like to sleep in the truck after having worked for 40+ straight hours, hopefully, the motel rooms are reserved already.

Are they any different than sleeping with 500 snoring soldiers? I have done that, but most of them are younger and healthier than maybe the majority of the 500 linemen may be, so maybe it is different.

Buck Parrish

I can not seem to visualize what you are describing and how it makes an effective interlock. Any photos?
PHP:

I don't think I have a pic, I'll look.
You have both rows of breakers with on pointing inward. You tie wire a long 3/8th bit straight on the hadle tie of the top two pole breaker. Parralell with the handle tie. So when you turn it on the bit above hits the main horizonal breaker. It works.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think I have a pic, I'll look.
You have both rows of breakers with on pointing inward. You tie wire a long 3/8th bit straight on the hadle tie of the top two pole breaker. Parralell with the handle tie. So when you turn it on the bit above hits the main horizonal breaker. It works.

I think I get it, but don't understand when you said top two breakers. One side will probably work for this and the other one likely will not.

I think you mean breaker position nearest the main on one particular side of the panel.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Are they any different than sleeping with 500 snoring soldiers? I have done that, but most of them are younger and healthier than maybe the majority of the 500 linemen may be, so maybe it is different.

Ha yea, I have done that also. The linemen aren't nearly as healthy as the soldiers. Being overweight brings on a host of breathing problems...:lol:

marissa2

A lot of people in CT will say CL&P droped the ball last year, but with all the back fed generators being installed they didn,t want to take any chances with the ground crews, remember all dowened lines are live until proven otherwise. Don't forget many roads were blocked, sometimes for days because of downed trees. The trees coulden't be moved becaused of the dowened lines and the roads were closed becaused of the dowened trees. So you could really say it was a catch 22

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Fortunately for NJ and Conn. we've learned a lot about storm preparation over the past year. I would anticipate a better response from both states this time around.

marissa2

I hope that is true but the homeowners haven't, I got a call yesterday asking for a transfer switch. Last year they used extension cords. One more thing about power outages, from what I can remember and I remember the Great Northeast Blackout, we didn't loose power that often or for long periods of time back then.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm hoping that the State governments and power companies have done a better job at getting ready. Last years October snow storm left us with out power for 6 days. Looks like recent computer models have shifted the landfall more to the North which would be worse for us here in Northern NJ and worse for Connecticut. :eek:

iwire

Staff member
Looks like recent computer models have shifted the landfall more to the North which would be worse for us here in Northern NJ and worse for Connecticut. :eek:

We service a ton of supermarkets from two chains all over CT with of course most of them along the coast. We will be busy.

coffeebean

I've been taking calls all day some customers just want be sure on how to operate a generator while others are just not paying attention. For example: "Can I run my generator in the garage the instructions say it should not get wet"

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It should be a fun week... people actually have the audacity to call up and ask for a generator install... yeah, be right there... :happyno:
Not only that - they're asking me for generators as well !!! Like I have 25 sitting in my back yard waiting for a phone call.

Status
Not open for further replies.