Frankenstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How are things working out? As bad as predicted or still early yet?
Still early. It's 5:45 AM in northern NJ. Winds are about 40 mph. No rain yet. Not sure how you can prepare for this other than to brick up your house 2 days before. I feel like one of the 3 little pigs.:happyyes:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Still early. It's 5:45 AM in northern NJ. Winds are about 40 mph. No rain yet. Not sure how you can prepare for this other than to brick up your house 2 days before. I feel like one of the 3 little pigs.:happyyes:

Like you and me and millions of others we're all hunkered down and waiting. The latest computer model shows the storm tracking farther south than just 12 hours ago. Good news for us in North Eastern NJ. We still have some 30 MPH gusts and some light rain at the moment. The question now is how long will the power stay on. :eek:

renosteinke

I'm going to stick my neck out .... so take a moment to sharpen your axes :D

"Frankenstorm" is pure media hype and chicken-little clucking.

Look at the satellite pics. "Sandy" is barely a loose spiral, not tight at all, and it's falling apart. It barely qualifies as a 'category 1' hurricaine. The spin is also in the wrong direction - that is, it will drive water away from shore. Quite the opposite of a 'storm surge.'

Let's put that in perspective: Most everywhere I've lived has frequently had 85mph winds - especially gusts accompanying storms. It's not that much. Typical summer prairy 'cloudbursts' drop as much water, just as fast.

The other part, the 'cold front?" Hurricaines are powered by heat. The two systems will simply cancel each other out.

I don't know why the media is making such a big deal of this non-event.

Don't tell me the 'experts' disagree. A pox on them. Feel free to return here in a few days, though, and tell me how wrong I was. :D

iwire

Staff member
As long as you're not an expert :D

Well this direction comment was pretty funny. :D

The spin is also in the wrong direction - that is, it will drive water away from shore. Quite the opposite of a 'storm surge.'

Let's put that in perspective: Most everywhere I've lived has frequently had 85mph winds - especially gusts accompanying storms. It's not that much.

Sounds fun, but we don't get 85 MPH winds much at all, so when we do get them trees lose branches, tip over and otherwise drop wires.

My local FD is responding to a limb blocking a road as I type this and I think the winds are only 30-40 MPH right now.

But I am no expert, just a guy that lives here. :)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
What is the deal with cleaning out the milk and bread? With no refrigeration, milk does not last all that long. The bread, I reckon you could just eat peanut butter sandwiches? Meat doesn't hold up all that well without refrigeration either.:roll:

kbsparky

I'm going to stick my neck out .... so take a moment to sharpen your axes :D

"Frankenstorm" is pure media hype and chicken-little clucking.

Look at the satellite pics. "Sandy" is barely a loose spiral, not tight at all, and it's falling apart. It barely qualifies as a 'category 1' hurricaine. The spin is also in the wrong direction - that is, it will drive water away from shore. Quite the opposite of a 'storm surge.'

Let's put that in perspective: Most everywhere I've lived has frequently had 85mph winds - especially gusts accompanying storms. It's not that much. Typical summer prairy 'cloudbursts' drop as much water, just as fast.

The other part, the 'cold front?" Hurricaines are powered by heat. The two systems will simply cancel each other out.

I don't know why the media is making such a big deal of this non-event.

Don't tell me the 'experts' disagree. A pox on them. Feel free to return here in a few days, though, and tell me how wrong I was. :D

You're already way off base! We have major flooding here on Delmarva the likes of which have never been experienced here before. And the storm is still out at sea! We had a real bad storm here in 1962, and this one is worse than that one was.

The winds have not even begun to blow hard here yet, either.

You will eat crow on this one ...

Hendrix

I guess by now many of us have heard about this "Frankenstorm" due to slam into the east coast early next week. All of the local stores have sold out of there portable generators and I've already gotten a call about hooking up a temporary generator over the weekend just in case. Just wondering, if you were asked to, how would you wire a temporary portable generator? I'm guessing that in-feed boxes and generator cord sets aren't locally available either.
I wouldn't. Too late. I would just tell the home owner to buy heavy duty extention cords and say " good luck ".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wouldn't. Too late. I would just tell the home owner to buy heavy duty extention cords and say " good luck ".

They called me today to come by after the storm to look at a permanent hook up. Right now they're setup for key appliances run with extension cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.