Multiple branch circuits on same raceway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewire

I am planning to run a couple branch circuits on a same raceway but on NEC 310.4 saying it's allowed if anything #1 and larger but anything smaller than that can be in parallel if you running for power control, relays etc....I am not running for power control, just a few number 8 wires.

So, can I run multiple branch circuits on same raceway/conduit? (considering the fill capacity is not a problem)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sir you are a janitor and not an electrican so we cannot help you. You need to get a qualified individual.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am re-opening this thread. Apparently we have a systems engineer with a sense of humor. That is a good thing...... Anyway have at it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am not sure I understand the question. You cannot parallel smaller than 1/0 unless you have control circuit but you can have multiple circuits in a raceway but they cannot be parallel if they are #8's. You will have to derate based on the number of current carrying conductors in the conduit. T. 310.15(B)(3)(a)

thewire

Thank you sir
What's the different if they are running on the same raceway and running parallel for the most part then branch out towards the end? We are feeding wireless equipment if that help

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Thank you sir
What's the different if they are running on the same raceway and running parallel for the most part then branch out towards the end? We are feeding wireless equipment if that help

Can you clarify your post with a little more detail. You are asking to "run on a race way". Do you meen in a raceway?
Ore are you asking to atach to an exsisting race way and atach the conductors to the outside of the exsisting race way?

dicklaxt

Am I mis reading this ???? are we talking about just running more than one independent circuit in a raceway with and parallel to another or are we talking about true parallel conductors to be used to make up a single/common feeder.

Dumb question I know but some folks stub their toe on this Article and its meaning.

dick

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
Just to clarify, NEC 310.4 is talking about conductors that are electrically paralleled (ie, two or more conductors connected to each other at both ends to divide the current between them), not ones that are geometrically parallel (ie, running next to each other in the same conduit)

/mike

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is another of the very common cases in which "language" gets in the way of "communication." As was just pointed out, you are using the word "parallel" in the context of what I like to call "common conversational English." Two roads can be parallel, as are some wooden bars used in gymnastic competition. However, in the context of the electrical trade, the word "parallel" has a more restricted, and carefully defined, meaning. When the NEC speaks of parallel runs, it specifically means that each wire in the parallel run is electrically connected to each other wire in the parallel run on both the beginning point of the wire and the ending point of the wire. What you are describing is not "parallel" in this context.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you sir

I am still confused as to what is being asked, but since humor was brought up, why do we have wires running to wireless equipment??:lol:

dicklaxt

LOL,I thought about that too,then I looked at my Wireless Broadband Router setting here on my desk and wondered why it had 4 cables going to it.I figured I didn't know what wireless meant:?

dick

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
As a ham radio operator, I often look behind my radios and wonder why they call it wireless...
/mike

Status
Not open for further replies.