strapping down ladders on racks, what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I've seen plenty of extension ladders alongside highways over the years. It's common to see guys around here carrying lots of ladders with nothing more than bungees holding them on (seeing four extensions stacked up on a cargo rack or pickup rack with a buttload of bungees wrapped around them makes me look for an exit strategy ;) ).

Most of the contractor vans I see have cargo racks instead of real ladder racks. Some of them get the stop for a ladder (the inverted U hook that bolts on to the front cross beam) but most don't. I don't know whether it's a savings strategy on their part, or whether they don't know where to get a true ladder rack with stops on it. I had to order mine online since I couldn't find them anywhere locally.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yeah, wouldn't want to carry around that "A" frame ladder a whole lot!:lol:

The A frames don't bother me a lot. Wonder what size that trestle ladder is? I have a 12 footer that is a bear to lug in a house to work on chandeliers.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I like these:

020121115.jpg

Bungee cords are the worst for ladder tie downs. I'd use 14-2 long before I use another bungee cord.

nhfire77

I like these:

020121115.jpg

Bungee cords are the worst for ladder tie downs. I'd use 14-2 long before I use another bungee cord.

I've been pondering the purchase of those for everything, just trimming the end so there is only 18" of extra strap, customized for the each van. I was hoping for a revelation through the almighty forum.

iwire

Staff member
I've been pondering the purchase of those for everything, just trimming the end so there is only 18" of extra strap, customized for the each van. I was hoping for a revelation through the almighty forum.

The only issue I have with those is they dry rot pretty quickly, you need to replace them often.

iwire

Staff member
The A frames don't bother me a lot. Wonder what size that trestle ladder is? I have a 12 footer that is a bear to lug in a house to work on chandeliers.

I don't have a trestle ladder, just the double sided ladder I would call an A frame.

Here it is with my 6', I used the 6' to unstrap it and leave it there so I could get to my 24'.

14 Lad.jpg

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I don't have a trestle ladder, just the double sided ladder I would call an A frame.

Here it is with my 6', I used the 6' to unstrap it and leave it there so I could get to my 24'.

]

Yea, I see now. I thought that was a trestle under the A frame. It must be an extension ladder under the A frame on the drivers side. Can't find my readers anywhere around here...

While this post is on ladders, If you have one that has a few rivets loose or missing on a step brace, do you fix them your self or send them out?

Last edited:
Whatever you decide to use to strap down your ladders, I have a suggestion. Always strap them down as soon as you put them back on the racks. Don't make the mistake I made ONE time.

Done for the day and in a rush.

Put the 24' ext ladder on the van. Make 2 or 3 more trips loading the van with tools, wire, etc. Hop in van and go. Halfway through the condo's parking lot I remember I forgot to strap down the ladder. All still would have been fine if I had just gradually come to a stop but my dumb a.. nailed the brakes and, well, new windshield and a cute little dent in the hood. Could have been alot worse. Knock on wood, I ALWAYS strap em down IMMEDIATELY since that day.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Whatever you decide to use to strap down your ladders, I have a suggestion. Always strap them down as soon as you put them back on the racks. Don't make the mistake I made ONE time.

Put the 24' ext ladder on the van. Make 2 or 3 more trips loading the van with tools, wire, etc. Hop in van and go. Halfway through the condo's parking lot I remember I forgot to strap down the ladder. All still would have been fine if I had just gradually come to a stop but my dumb a.. nailed the brakes and, well, new windshield and a cute little dent in the hood. Could have been alot worse. Knock on wood, I ALWAYS strap em down IMMEDIATELY since that day.

Yeah, I had a helper that put my extension ladder on backwards, and only tied down the bottom rungs. We were going around 285 when we seen a group of illegals that lost their ladders on the side of the road, we were laughing about it until I looked in my rear view mirror, and my ladder was extended all the way out the back of the truck!

nhfire77

Thats what the romex is for! I leave it dangling down over the mounting bracket of the rack. Obvious on the drivers side. I leave the passenger side longer and let it hang a bit lower, you can easily see it in the mirror. Ever since I had my oh crap moment this strategy has not failed. me

GUNNING

WeatherGuard

WeatherGuard

I looked a long time for a ladder rack when I bought my van 13 years ago. Weather Guard was the one. Its light, still looks good, secures the load quickly, and made of thick heavy duty powder coated Aluminum. The hooks on the front are for getting a ladder up on the truck by one man no fancy lever system needed. The pneumatic lever locks are lockable. The parts are all replaceable like quality commercial parts but I have never needed any because they have never worn out. Great thought out system. One of the smart things I did.

http://www.weatherguard.com/van_storage_equipment/view_products_archive.php?subcat_id=63

There is a middle bar that is a separate item that will allow the 6 foot ladder to be carried. I've hauled 25 foot power poles loaded and unloaded on it by myself. No problems.

I use a tube pipe holder gotten from American Van. It is made from aluminum with a 8 inch PVC pipe. great for pipe and ground rods.

http://www.americanvan.com/ladder-racks/rooftop-carriers/conversion-kit.html

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
As far as bungee or rubber straps, I've been putting extra or using a piece of romex and assuming that one will break, I don't know which one so I tie so that any one can break and load not fall off truck.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
As far as bungee or rubber straps, I've been putting extra or using a piece of romex and assuming that one will break, I don't know which one so I tie so that any one can break and load not fall off truck.

I still tie mine with wire, but use the bungees as window dressing to keep the insurance company happy.:roll:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I use these tie downs but cut off the strap and replace it with a 1/8" steel cable.

64703-10upg.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.