PVC conduit adaptor's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicklaxt

You know these adaptors are everywhere and it looks like a lot of them are made by the same manufacturer and sold by many distributors.They are UL listed to be used in PVC conduit systems and I believe the intent is to be used as a terminal fitting,in other words at a enclosure where the PVC has to be adapted to a locknut or screw into a hub or PVC fitting. If they are used as a transistion fitting(ie: from underground PVC to aboveground RMC) I'm not sure they are listed for that use and may not get by the inspectors in that application.Whats your thoughts on this?

www.cooperindustries.com/...fittings/pvc/non-metallic_pvcconduitfitt..

dick

dicklaxt

That is a male adapter, we use female adapters all the time to transition between PVC and metal raceways.

Yes right on, and I have specified many on different projects but the OP statement/question says they are listed for PVC conduit systems not PVC/RMC systems,,,,,,,,,so are they also listed and legally used in that case?

dick

iwire

Staff member
Yes right on, and I have specified many on different projects but the OP statement/question says they are listed for PVC conduit systems not PVC/RMC systems,,,,,,,,,so are they also listed and legally used in that case?

dick

But you had said that perhaps inspectors would not accept them and I can tell you that for sure they do in MA, RI, and, CT.:)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Is the question about FA's on rigid conduits or emt connectors into a tapered hub like HV LV's article mentioned?

Because we do both here without issues.:cool:

iwire

Staff member
Is the question about FA's on rigid conduits or emt connectors into a tapered hub like HV LV's article mentioned?

Because we do both here without issues.:cool:

:cool:

EMT with compression fittings into weatherproof boxes are very common around here.

dicklaxt

Let me restate the question,,,The PVC adaptor in the photo is listed both UL and CSA when used in PVC conduit systems.

No if that same PVC adaptor is used as a transition fitting to go from PVC to RMC it is now being used out of the listed parameters of a PVC system,,,,,,,,,the question is,is this now a legal application?

The type of metal conduit is not the issue it is strictly the use of the adaptor in a way that it was not tested/listed.

dick

renosteinke

Dick, where did you ever get the idea that the parts were beig used "outside of their listing?" Do you really think UL, or anyone else, has a menu of "uses" they work with?

All UL would do to evaluate a fitting is check the dimensions and the material used. A pipe thread is a pipe thread. It doen't know what it's being inserted into - and why should it care? All that matters is that the threads match.

Are you sure the question you asked is an honest one?

Perhaps you're really asking "Are you required to have a junction box when you change wiring methods?" If you're under the impression that there 'should' be a box, you're wrong.

There are many situation where we transition from steel to PVC, and a junction box just isn't possible. Two such situations involve buried pipe. We want the elbows to be steel, so the wire doesn't saw through the pipe as we pull ... and, in explosion-proof settings, we need the stub-up to be steel.

dicklaxt

I am not stating anything but a scenario and quoting a statement in the specifications blurb by Cooper Industries as being listed by and used in a PVC conduit system.

I am only asking "Is it legal" to use the adapter pictured to transition from PVC schedule 40 or 80 to rigid galvanized conduit.

I really don't know why you all keep dodging the question and answer if you know it.

dick

kevin

I am not stating anything but a scenario and quoting a statement in the specifications blurb by Cooper Industries as being listed by and used in a PVC conduit system.

I am only asking "Is it legal" to use the adapter pictured to transition from PVC schedule 40 or 80 to rigid galvanized conduit.

I really don't know why you all keep dodging the question and answer if you know it.

dick

It is certainly legal in Washington and Idaho, as it is a very common practice in those jurisdictions.

renosteinke

Sorry, I wasn't "dodging." The answer is so obviously "yes, of course it's legal, what do you think they're made for?" that I had to ask what you really wanted to know.

dicklaxt

Sorry, I wasn't "dodging." The answer is so obviously "yes, of course it's legal, what do you think they're made for?" that I had to ask what you really wanted to know.

The answer is obviously yes when dealing with a PVC conduit system as stated in the UL /CSA listing as tauted by Cooper Industries,,,no problem with that but when you introduce RMC into the mix then it is not a stand alone PVC conduit system thus the question "is it now legal."

Yes I know it is done all the time,no question there,,,but "is it legal?" See where the question comes to the surface,,,no where have I read that there was a listing or rubberstamp for this application,,,,,,,,,,,

It's just a question,simply put out of curiosity if you will.

dick

Status
Not open for further replies.