AFCI for FCU?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

AFCI for FCU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is the "outlet" for the fan coil unit in the bedroom?
Perhaps worded slightly better: Is the "outlet" for the fan coil unit accessed from the bedroom? If not, then where is it accessed from?

Most outlets aren't actually installed "in" the rooms themselves, but rather the structural confines, such as walls, ceilings, floors.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
"In the ceiling" you mean in the attic? or yo mean "On the ceiling"?

If in the attic I would say No AFCI required.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code wording is poor. It does not say how is the outlet accessed. It says all in the bathroom need a AFCI protection. In my opinion this outlet is not in the bedroom. I am sure that the intent is for this circuit to have AFCI protection, but that is not what the words say.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The code wording is poor. It does not say how is the outlet accessed. It says all in the bathroom need a AFCI protection. In my opinion this outlet is not in the bedroom. I am sure that the intent is for this circuit to have AFCI protection, but that is not what the words say.
Bathroom???

I know it does not say accessed. It was an attempt towards intent. Say you have a kitchen next to a bedroom. All the outlets of issue are in the dividing wall. None are actually in the kitchen or the bedroom. The outlets are in the wall. The distinguishing difference in the application of the arc-fault requirement is enforced by which side the outlet is accessed from.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bathroom???

I know it does not say accessed. It was an attempt towards intent. Say you have a kitchen next to a bedroom. All the outlets of issue are in the dividing wall. None are actually in the kitchen or the bedroom. The outlets are in the wall. The distinguishing difference in the application of the arc-fault requirement is enforced by which side the outlet is accessed from.
The receptacle outlets are accessed from the room as is a surface mounted light fixture. It appears to me that the outlets for this fan coil unit or for a recessed light fixture are not in the room and not subject to the AFCI rule as it is written. I agree with you that would be the intent, but you can only enforce the written rule, not the intent.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The receptacle outlets are accessed from the room as is a surface mounted light fixture. It appears to me that the outlets for this fan coil unit or for a recessed light fixture are not in the room and not subject to the AFCI rule as it is written. I agree with you that would be the intent, but you can only enforce the written rule, not the intent.

Don, the receptacle outlets would be recessed into the wall up to .25". The lighting outlet bearing the surface luminaire is as well. Do you believe box setback negates AFCI protection? :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don, the receptacle outlets would be recessed into the wall up to .25". The lighting outlet bearing the surface luminaire is as well. Do you believe box setback negates AFCI protection? :)
Since I am not a fan of the AFCI and don't believe that they really provide any meaningful protection, I would like to say that the box setback would negate the rule but I won't go that far. For you application, I don't think the code wording requires AFCI protection. Like I said before I am sure that the intent is that AFCI protection be providrd for that circuit, but the code wording does not support that.
The receptacle outlet is accessible from within the room by just plugging a cord into the receptacle. I see the same for a surface mounted light fixture. I don't see it that way for a recessed light fixture, fan or other equipment that is installed in the ceiling as opposed to on the ceiling.

kwired

Electron manager
One thing that has not come up yet, what is the voltage of this fan coil?

If it is anything other than 120 volts, AFCI is not required - period.

If it is 120 volts, then the outlet "location" is the determining factor. If it is determined to be in the bedroom or any other room listed in 210.12 as requiring AFCI protection then yes AFCI protection is required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would have to go with Don on this. The outlet is not in the bedroom.

I see the recessed can as being accessible from the bedroom as the socket is available from the room thus afci is required. The socket is the true outlet the JB is just a connection.

kwired

Electron manager
I would have to go with Don on this. The outlet is not in the bedroom.

I see the recessed can as being accessible from the bedroom as the socket is available from the room thus afci is required. The socket is the true outlet the JB is just a connection.

Then fluorescent lighting need not be on AFCI's the voltage at the presumed outlet (socket) generally is not 120 volts.

I think the outlet is the point of connection from premises wiring to the luminaire.

This does bring up questions like the one in the OP though that I have never considered before, when the point of connection is in a flush box, or a recessed luminaire, and other similar items.

Status
Not open for further replies.