Residentail Hydro Massage Tubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

Is there a section that mandates that you put a access panel for pump repairs or replacements? Current tub is being served by a dead front GFCI, which is in a closet next to the bathroom. There is no recept. under the tub. Customer dosent want the look and I want to make sure I cover my basis before I agree or disagree. 2005 NEC

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Section 680.73 states electrical equipment shall be accessible without damage to the building structure or building finish. I would start there and then figure out why they don't want an access panel. I have seen them hidden in fashions that they blend with the surround.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Section P2720.1 of the International Residential Code also states "a door or panel of sufficient size shall be installed to provide access to the pump for repair and/or replacement."

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
"What do you mean you need to cut the tile and the drywall inorder to replace the motor":? "shoooot My electrician was correct that we needed an access door. i should have listen to him":weeping:

Rick Christopherson

Back when I built my house, I designed the bathroom specifically so the motor access panel would be hidden inside the vanity (which is right next to where the pump is located). The inspector had no problem with this, and as the homeowner, I understood that a major failure of the tub plumbing would likely require breaking out the whole front of the tile surround because no scuttle of any reasonable size would provide access to all of the plumbing.

The bathroom had already passed final inspection with the tile in place, but the plumber was adamant that it needed a scuttle on the front face of the surround (which, by the way, would not provide access to the pump). He was specifically told by the GC and myself that we didn't need to do that, and that the situation was already discussed with the inspector.

The next day I came to the house to do some of the woodwork and discovered that the plumber had taken a hammer to the tiles. He didn't even create a scuttle, but simply had broken the tiles where one could go in a misguided attempt to force one to be there.

He was summarily fired. Not just from the project, but by his employer too.

Code is supposed to be there to protect the interests of the home owner, but sometimes that purpose gets lost. If breaking out the tiles would be necessary to service the plumbing (not the pump), then what difference does it make if that is done during construction versus 17 years later when an actual problem may appear?

kwired

Electron manager
I have repaired pump motors before when there was access door right in front of the pump, still a PITA on most models, putting access inside vanity cabinet or other similar locations only makes it more difficult to work on. If you are lucky and don't have an electrical malfunction the pump seal is next most likely thing to fail. IMO forget any codes, you are stupid if you don't have somewhat easy access to the pump. It is most prone component for failures. Most other components will not ordinarily fail, but if they do, your access may not be in right place to service them anyway.

Rick Christopherson

In my case I had no choice about where the pump access was located. It is a large corner tub with the pump in the corner where the vanity touches the tub surround.

Just in case it ever needed service, that whole sidewall of the cabinet was cut out, and even the cabinet rails between drawers were removable for better access into the cabinet.

kwired

Electron manager
"What do you mean you need to cut the tile and the drywall inorder to replace the motor":? "shoooot My electrician was correct that we needed an access door. i should have listen to him":weeping:

I have a solution that gets them to install an access, even if not a very practical access. I do not install receptacle at rough in. If they don't provide an access for me to use to later install the receptacle, the pump will never have a receptacle to plug into, this usually gets them to do something if they can't power up the tub.

ceb58

I did one that like the OP the motor end of the tub was on the wall separating the bath from a closet. The access hole was cut into the wall through the closet with a door. Out of site and still accessible.

John120/240

I have a solution that gets them to install an access, even if not a very practical access. I do not install receptacle at rough in. If they don't provide an access for me to use to later install the receptacle, the pump will never have a receptacle to plug into, this usually gets them to do something if they can't power up the tub.

Do whatever floats your boat. kwired what is your rationale for this method ? Are you putting a handy box with recptacle on the end

of the romex ? For me I would rather install a fiber glass nail on with recptacle at rough in. GFCI located in closet.

We can all benifit from learning different methods. Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Do whatever floats your boat. kwired what is your rationale for this method ? Are you putting a handy box with recptacle on the end

of the romex ? For me I would rather install a fiber glass nail on with recptacle at rough in. GFCI located in closet.

We can all benifit from learning different methods. Thanks

If it has reasonable access, it is not a big deal to install the receptacle at trimout. Receptacle used to be GFCI type until NEC decided that all GFCI's need to be readily accessible. I probably would not put it in the closet. That would be better chance for a service call to find the tripped GFCI. Dead front GFCI somewhere in the vicinity of the tub, and with a nice looking label to identify its purpose (no black marker writing on the plate) would likely be my choice, next choice would be GFCI breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.