Direct Deposit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcal

not in my experience, they don't.

especially at the state level, in californicate.

i had a vehicle i sold, that was transferred out of
state by the new owner... all the paperwork was
done on my end, but the new owner did not either
register it, or surrender the plates. the car was
sold to a third party, who subsequently, i'm told,
drove it off the road, totaling it.

the state of calif. took about $300 a year out of my
checking account for registration on that car, without
due process, or notice, for four years after i'd filed
the change of ownership papers.

they finally stopped stealing my money, but i never
was able to recover any of it. $1,400 total.

If you did fill out the release of liability form COMPLETELY they do not recognize the form, it's the same as if you never sent it out.:happysad:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If you get paid with a check, you now have that person or company's account and routing numbers.

What's to prevent you from making a withdrawal on that account?

I don't have the equipment to do so. It takes computers networked with the banking system.

I don't have the equipment to do so. It takes computers networked with the banking system.

So, you are under the impression that if this company makes payments to you via direct deposit, it then means that thier computer is networked with the banking system?

Sounds to me like they just want to pay you electronically. I pay alot of my bills electronically. I authorize my bank to electronically transfer funds to my creditors. This does not allow my creditors access to my account.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
... I authorize my bank to electronically transfer funds to my creditors. This does not allow my creditors access to my account.
Perhaps more to the point, in this case, it also does not allow you to access your creditors accounts. But it does not assure us whether or not your bank could take the money (or more?) back from those creditors.
In the case of the firm that wants to pay you by direct deposit, it is pretty likely that they are not the ones making the actual transaction, their bank is.

hurk27

In the case of the firm that wants to pay you by direct deposit, it is pretty likely that they are not the ones making the actual transaction, their bank is.

Very true and the nice thing is they have to have the money in their account or the bank will not process the transaction, better then dealing with bounce checks which can be a pain to clean up after when you have funds planed to be taken out for bills and you are running your accounts close like I have had to do in the recent past before I went to work for a steel mill.

On another note one of my largest customer accidentally posted a payment twice to my account, I caught it before they did, and had my bank reverse one of them back to their account wasn't a large amount as it was for a small service call, but the accountant women who did it called me and thanked me over and over for doing it, as she would have gotten in trouble as she said. My bank told me that once a charge has been pushed through they can't reverse it unless the other party OK's it or a judge orders it after a civil case has been settled, this is with debit cards as well as electronic checks which they have a little more time to reverse the check, a bank in most cases won't get into the middle of over payment or charges when you use either of the above two methods, if you OKed any transaction, until a judge orders it, but if you claim fraud from lost or stolen cards or they just got your info from your card then they will change your card number as well a shut off the old card, and by Federal law if the card was used in Internet transaction you are covered 100%, if the card was used at stores you are covered for anything over $50.00, but only if you can show that you reported it as soon as you found that the card has been stolen or the info was being used and charges were applied to your account, electronic check is the same except if you have checks stolen and used at stores then you have to be willing to file charges against the person if they are caught or they don't have to refund your money, even though the stores are held responsible and are required to refund the bank the money because they took the card or check without making sure the person using the card was the owner.

Of course this can very from state to state, except the Federal laws on debit cards.

but I do know the IRS can and has removed money from accounts without notice if there is a reason, my sister went through that one also because of her ex husband refiled their tax's after they got a divorce as he claimed all the money went to her account, which it did but she payed him the amount out of it that was his, her lawyer got it reversed and they went after him.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
If you did fill out the release of liability form COMPLETELY they do not recognize the form, it's the same as if you never sent it out.:happysad:

oh, yeah... i jumped thru their hoops, several times....
and then the next year, they'd slam me for $300 again....

"thank you sir, may i have another?"

my banking practices are pretty straightforward.
i deposit into one account, after it clears, move
it to another account that isn't linked to the first
account, so if something bounces, it shows overdrawn,
but i don't have my checks bouncing... then i can go
down to the bank and fix it... i don't have half a dozen
checks i've written bounce 'cause a check i was given
was rubber.

fed's aren't that ornery, but the snake of california
will take anything they can, without due process,
and you can fight to *try* to get it back.

norcal

The reason I posted about incomplete release of liability forms is someone I know did not fill out everything & sent it to the DMV, the buyer either got into a accident or something & had never transfered the vehicle into their name, causing the seller to be dragged into the mess.

I really want to get the hell out of California.......

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
So, you are under the impression that if this company makes payments to you via direct deposit, it then means that thier computer is networked with the banking system?

Sounds to me like they just want to pay you electronically. I pay alot of my bills electronically. I authorize my bank to electronically transfer funds to my creditors. This does not allow my creditors access to my account.

I am not just "under the impression". I used to work in an insurance office. I sometimes set up bank drafts for policy payments. Our computers were interfaced with the banking system in order to do this. We had the ability to draft accounts and also to refund a draft for whatever reason. I cannot pull up the same screens on my pc. Wife & I have some bills paid this way but I was not happy being forced to go along with it by a customer I do not know.

I am not just "under the impression". I used to work in an insurance office. I sometimes set up bank drafts for policy payments. Our computers were interfaced with the banking system in order to do this. We had the ability to draft accounts and also to refund a draft for whatever reason. I cannot pull up the same screens on my pc. Wife & I have some bills paid this way but I was not happy being forced to go along with it by a customer I do not know.

Not quite sure what you mean by the highlighted part above. Can you be more specific?

My BANK does NOT allow others to take money out of my accounts without my authorization.

My BANK does allow others to put money into my account (anyone, anytime, anyhow, anyplace).

My BANK does not make unauthorized payments. The bank would be liable, and soon bankrupt if they did.

I trust my bank to only make payments I authorize. Maybe you need a new bank.

kwired

Electron manager
Not quite sure what you mean by the highlighted part above. Can you be more specific?

My BANK does NOT allow others to take money out of my accounts without my authorization.

My BANK does allow others to put money into my account (anyone, anytime, anyhow, anyplace).

My BANK does not make unauthorized payments. The bank would be liable, and soon bankrupt if they did.

I trust my bank to only make payments I authorize. Maybe you need a new bank.

AFAIK mine doesn't allow unauthorized payments either, but I have seen reversed transactions when a mistake was made with no interaction from me, so someone must have the ability to do something without me ever knowing - until I see it either through online banking or on monthly statement.

If you have authorized a monthly payee to automatically deduct payments they generally take whatever balance they show is due to them - even if they made a mistake at coming up with that balance. Like I said earlier - they take your money now and ask questions later. Kind of sucks if you go from a usual payment of around $100 monthly to suddenly being $400 one month and you had no idea it was going to be that much.

Maybe there is a way to put a restriction on the monthly amount they are allowed to take, but they don't tell you that option if it is there when you sign any authorization forms. Instead it is like giving them a book full of signed blank checks.

Most direct depositors usually have you fill out some kind of authorization form also. I suppose one needs to pay attention to what is said on the form - you may actually agree to let them remove funds in the event errors are found and not even realize it.

renosteinke

mjf ... what memories you bring back!

I think the line was "Please, sir, could I have some more?"

Being in Catholic school at the time, the Nuns decided to take us into the big city, on a field trip to see the film. (I'll leave it to others to reveal the name :) ).

We rode the busses into downtown Chicago, to an old-style theater with fancy woodwork and a massive balcony. Heck, there might have been two balconies.

During intermission, we were kept in the theater, away from the lobby, by our minders. When the film was over, we waited in the lobby forever for the busses to arrive. At this point, some of us claimed to notice new cracks in the huge glass windows, and one hole was asserted to be a new bullet hole. I wasn't so sure.

Getting on the busses, I noticed the streets were absolutely deserted. Not a soul in sight. On every corner stood groups of perhaps a dozen cops, some in riot gear. Not another car was in sight. This, in the Chicago "Loop," on a weekday. It seemed slightly unusual. No one offered a word of explanation.

What had happened was that the "Students for a Democratic Society" had decided to kick off their "Days of Rage," a deliberate riot intended to shut down Chicago, and kick off a nation-wide revolution. These 'protests' continued for a few more days, but none reachd the intensity of that first day.

The police had pushed the rioters right past the theater into Grant Park, where the bulk of the battle took place. The rioters moved north over the next two days, with the final fracas in the southern part of Lincoln Park (maybe 1-1/2 miles as the crow flies).

It's worth looking these events up. I was dead center in the midst of it all, watching a movie, blissfully unaware of the mayhem around me. We had a Dickens of a time.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
mjf ... what memories you bring back!

I think the line was "Please, sir, could I have some more?"

Being in Catholic school at the time, the Nuns decided to take us into the big city, on a field trip to see the film. (I'll leave it to others to reveal the name :) ).

This is a reference to the 1978 film "Animal House,"
when the Omega house is doing their initiations. In the movie, an
older brother is paddling the pledges, and the pledge (Kevin Bacon in
his first role) responds with that line.

google to the rescue.......

norcal

This is a reference to the 1978 film "Animal House,"
when the Omega house is doing their initiations. In the movie, an
older brother is paddling the pledges, and the pledge (Kevin Bacon in
his first role) responds with that line.

google to the rescue.......

That film is still funny after all the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.